Tiling directly onto plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have removed some old cladding in our bathroom and the wall behind is damaged where previous wall tiles have been removed in some parts down to the brick. We were wondering if we chop back the plaster and replace with plasterboard if we can tile directly onto the plasterboard?

Thanks for any advice in advance :)

Sponsored Links
You can tile onto plasterboard very successfully.

You can also tile onto the wall, although you might want to patch up any holes so that you use less of the expensive adhesive.

If the plaster is basically sound & it’s only localised damage, you’re creating a lot of work for yourself by removing it all; a better idea would be to patch up the damage with new plaster. It doesn’t need to be perfect if you’re re-tilling, as long as it’s fairly flat &, providing you follow a few basic rules, this should be quiet easy to achieve.

Re plaster board. I wouldn't use it behind the bath or shower area as it will disintegrate if it gets wet; use Aquapanel & tile directly onto that. PB will be OK for the rest of the room but I always plaster skim it before tiling; make sure you use a trade quality waterproof adhesive & grout.

Richard C said:
If the plaster is basically sound & it’s only localised damage, you’re creating a lot of work for yourself by removing it all; a better idea would be to patch up the damage with new plaster. It doesn’t need to be perfect if you’re re-tilling, as long as it’s fairly flat &, providing you follow a few basic rules, this should be quiet easy to achieve.

Re plaster board. I wouldn't use it behind the bath or shower area as it will disintegrate if it gets wet; use Aquapanel & tile directly onto that. PB will be OK for the rest of the room...
I agree with all of that advice.

...but I always plaster skim it before tiling;
But I'm wondering why you do that?

make sure you use a trade quality waterproof adhesive & grout.
And just to be sure that this isn't misunderstood, don't buy a product that claims to be both adhesive AND grout. :eek:

Sponsored Links
mountford said:
So your telling me that plaster on plaster board is a better substrate than tiling just to plaster board?
Er, who do think told you that, and where do you think they told you? :confused:

Hi
We have removed some old cladding in our bathroom and the wall behind is damaged where previous wall tiles have been removed in some parts down to the brick. We were wondering if we chop back the plaster and replace with plasterboard if we can tile directly onto the plasterboard?

yes dont for get to pva it

Hi

yes dont for get to pva it
PVA it :eek: MrsG's probably re-plastered & re-tiled the bathroom, redecorated the rest of the house & moved out by now! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back