Tiling directly to plasterboard / moisture board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this okay to do?

What are the benefits of plastering the plasterboard first??

I'm not the worst plasterer in the world, I've done a few rooms previous to this but the walls are never absolutely perfect. (Sometimes slightly un-even or divets in them) so if It doesn't really make any difference then id rather save time and money by tiling directly onto the plasterboard.. I've bought moisture board for the bits directly behind and to the side of the shower so I'm just wondering if there's much point in plastering them with multi finish first??

Sponsored Links
no benefit - its a worse surface. Prime the plasterboard with acrylic bond and tile straight on.

In a wet area though make sure you either use a cement based board (aqua panel etc) or tank the plasterboard. moisture resistant boards aren't much of an improvement over standard ones

I was hoping you weren't going to say that :(

How much am I going to be risking things if I use moisture board as I've already purchased this, I'm on a budget and the cement based aqua panel isn't the cheapest board around..

I've uploaded pictures of the area I've got to do, do you think I could get away with just boarding the back wall where the shower will be (a corner bath is being installed into the corner the shower will be over it)

To board that entire square area with aqua panel is going to cost me about another £130

Alternatively is there a cheap tanking solution your aware of?

I tanked the brick wall and old plaster walls behind the stud with a wickes waterproof membrane but it doesn't say it can be used on board...

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help, screwfix sell a showerproofing kit by mapei for £45 which I presume is the same thing??

There's no shower tray going in, it's a corner bath and the shower is above it but I presume it's the exact same principle

Tape the bath edge, paint all surrounding walls and then tile

One last question, can I also paint this onto the ceiling and then plaster over it? Or is there a better solution for humidity??

yep sounds very similar. Just check it has enough coverage.

dont use it on the ceiling - plastered MRP will be fine but would suggest an extractor somewhere.

Use water based Quick drying egg shell paint on the ceiling

Dulux is a personal favourite

As long as the first coat is watered down and the two subsequent coats are put on properly you will have no issues with water penetration

As said before tanking is an ideal solution to your plasterboars

Aqua board or any cement based boards are water proof ,but the joints where they meet one another are not !

these need to be tanked as well to stop any water getting through and rotting the timber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back