Tiling disaster....didn't even get as far as the DIY....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I was in a well known DIY store, and looking for floor tiles with the wonderful Mrs Robster, except that this particular store has decided not to put the price-per-metre on the shelf, just the pack price.

I ask a sales assistant how I find out the coverage and/or the price per metre, and he tells me that the only way is to check the packs, which involves taking the packs of the shelf.

All goes well for the first two packs I looked at, then the third pack, a nice pack of 5 30X30 slate tiles (about 10kgs is my guess), placed about 4 feet up, slips straight out of my hands and lands squarely on my unsuitibly shod foot.

Checklist....
Big toe: Broken in two places with the final section completley crushed
Open fracture: Check.
Toenail gone? Check.

A&E three times in a week (once to get the break x-rayed and treated, then once to remove the blood from under the remaining nail, and then finally to get the whole nail removed as it was so painful, and some discomfort for a few weeks,

Still, I got a nice letter of apology from said store hoping I recover fully soon!!

Sponsored Links
This thread is useless without pictures.
:p
Nooooo, I think we can do without pictures.

But it does go to chow that stores can be a bit lacking in common sense when planning their layouts. My mother had cause to complain in a large supermarket that they has some large Christmas puddings on a shelf above head height where they were just waiting to roll off and hurt someone. You'd think they'd be thankful (every little helps) for the information and move them to somewhere more sensible - but no, they just couldn't see what the problem was :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
This thread is useless without pictures.
:p
Nooooo, I think we can do without pictures.

But it does go to chow that stores can be a bit lacking in common sense when planning their layouts. My mother had cause to complain in a large supermarket that they has some large Christmas puddings on a shelf above head height where they were just waiting to roll off and hurt someone. You'd think they'd be thankful (every little helps) for the information and move them to somewhere more sensible - but no, they just couldn't see what the problem was :rolleyes:

There was'nt a problem to them.And has not been a problem, yet.

There was'nt a problem to them.And has not been a problem, yet.
Yes, that's usually the case right up to when a "how the **** did anyone let that happen" incident occurs :rolleyes:
In the OPs case, someone clearly didn't think there was a problem putting packs of heavy tiles at an awkward height for lifting them off the shelf.

There's normally a notice advising people to ask for assistance with heavy items. Someone handling an item without the correct PPE will normally result in any compensation claim being massively reduced anyway.

It makes me cringe when I'm in one of the sheds and people are moving heavy building materials around in flip flops. I even put my steel toe caps on for small DIY jobs around the house. It's all too easy to drop something on your foot and, being self employed, I don't get sick pay if I'm off injured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back