Tiling for 1st Time - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

My first tiling job. I basically have a fire surround which I’m attaching to a painted wall. In the surround I wanted to tile, the area is probably 4ft by 4ft. No working fire, just a flat painted wall. What is the best way to go about tiling this? Tile straight onto the painted wall, or attach plywood. If someone can explain the best process that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
he might be thinking of the amount of work in scraping off the tiles and repairing the plaster when he changes his mind.

You shouldn't really tile directly over emulsion. The water in the adhesive might soften the emulsion. That said, you are only doing a small area and the tiles won't be load bearing, so you might be ok.

Ordinarily, I would recommend removing the paint (and or paper) and applying a coat of SBR but it is difficult to find SBR in containers smaller than 5L.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back