Tiling garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, want to hard tile the garage floor rather than soft mat it or paint it. Hopefully make the cleaning of it a lot easier than the rough concrete surface.

I don’t think there is a dpm under the concrete but will have to use the SLC to get it all level first.

Is there any advice before I put down the SLC like using pva? I was looking at these tiles

http://www.diy.com/departments/cirq...-tile-pack-of-9-l-333mm-w-333mm/161765_BQ.prd

Thanks know advance.

Sponsored Links
thanks flameport. so will plan to use a slc. if i lay the tiles on a wet bed (seen on a few youtube vids) will that work? tiles will be around 7mm thick

It depends on what use the floor will be used for?
If you are in the habit of dropping tools then I wouldn't use ceramic?
There are plastic based treadplate panels that could be used in commercial garages.
Personally those riven tiles look awkward to clean

Sponsored Links
Tiles are great until you drop something heavy on them, I've done it and its bloody annoying!.

i'll try and buy the thickest tiles i can get/afford and have rubber mats under workspaces!

Thickness (to a point) is not critical.
When I looked at this, but did not get round to doing it, one of the bits of advice as to "ensure the adhesive has a 100% covering between floor and tiles - no holes or gaps".
This is because you need a solid transition between tiles and the floor - any gaps below tiles are where car/bench weight will crack the tiles.

I ended up looking at Swimming pool tiles as they were relatively reposnably priced and were textured and expect people to drop things on them.

SFK

Last edited:
Yep, need a properly buttered tile.

I put a 300mm long masonry bit back in it's sheath but it went straight through and landed on the tile, only a chip but really annoying!.

thanks guys, thats why i mentioned a wet bed of cement/adhesive as that way there should be no gaps. i laid some utility room floor tiles this way at a friends a few years back and it was alot easier than spreading the adhesive using a tool as u drop the tiles on and they all self levelled with minimum tapping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back