Tiling my bathroom FLOOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Right ive prepared the bathroom ready to tile the floor, fitted a ply over floorboards.

Im goning to be using a flexible adhisive....

Wha i want to know is... How long do i need to wait before i can walk on the tiles?

It says 48 hours before grouting, but nothing about walking on it...

Thaught i would check here b4 I start....

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If its the premixed you will need at least 48Hrs before walking on it usually at least 72hrs. You should be able to grout after 72hrs. Thats why we don't like premixed "tile on wood" type adhesives

Jason

Sponsored Links
ok, so what shall I use?

I can take this back.... and get what?

I need this to be walkable on by the weekend.

Cheers

You want to be using BAL single part flexible adhesive. That's a powdered adhesive that you mix yourself. Trust me, forget the pre-mixed stuff.

That's a powdered adhesive that you mix yourself.

Yea, you should always use powdered adhesive for floors as far as I recall. I'm using evostik at the minute. Seems pretty good and my tiles seem immovable. I think I could walk on mine the next day (24 hrs).

:D I have done a fair bit of tiling in my time all thou im not a tiler. When doing my bathroom floor i used Porcelain tiles which meant once putting the tiles down it would create a step which i didnt want. Therefore i removd my floorboards compeletly and replaced with 18mm plywood but the plywood was exterior ply (not sure what this ply is called but its something wbc or wpc?) almost like Marine ply. I then gave it a few coats of PVA just as back up for waterproofing.
The landing floorboards were 22mm thick, my ply was 18mm leaving a 4mm difference. This difference was met by the tile adhesive and the tile but this left a slight step of about 7mm but once the carpet from the landing was fitted with underlay this eliminated the step and gave me a perfect flat service from landing to bathroom.

Just for the record, i used a cement based adhesive which needed self mixing. The cement based adhesive was used because Porcelain in non-porus meaning a water based adhesive would never dry. :D

Have fun!

AndyP

(CHECK OUT MY SUBJECT IN BUILDING AND THE FLOORING SECTION: 'STAINING AND VARNISHING....HELP ME??')

For the record, 18mm is absolute minimum. Personally I think it's too thin and would recommend 25mm when replacing floorboards.
PVA is not waterproof and it is now not recommended as a primer for tiling - you should always follow the instructions set by the manufacturer regarding priming. Ok that's the official line, I've never had a problem in the past with using PVA and although I agree that it should not be used in wet areas, I have no issue with using it in dry areas. You wouldn't use PVA on timber floors in any area though.

I forgot to mention that i put noggins all the way through my bathroom joices to give extra support but by pulling up the floorboards this aloud me to do the plumbing with ease. You say 18mm is min which i agree with but my bathroom was is only 4msq and there is a bath in there which means my overall standing floor space is small. Saying that thou if i had used 22mm Ply than i would have a slight step which isn't good for ya big toe, lol.

If my bathroom was bigger than i would have used thicker ply but at the sizes mentioned i didn't think it warranted it.

Thats why we don't like premixed "tile on wood" type adhesives

Jason

well said ..;) a Pro tiler at work ...!

par1sons

unless you are a Professional day in day out tiler , dont give your advice here as fact ...THANKS
use pva ..lol *shakes head * hm :(

"if i had used 25mm Ply than i would have a slight step which isn't good for ya big toe"
thats why you aint a pro tiler an we are ..lol
btw
Tozzy, regarding your comments , check the grout lines in 2 ..no Ill be fair 3 months ..lol

Tozzy, regarding your comments , check the grout lines in 2 ..no Ill be fair 3 months ..lol

Well in that case I may as well give up now then :confused:. What's wrong with evostik? It's a good and reputable make:cool:. Oh and I used sugar soap to clean the surface before laying the tiles.

Tozzy
use pro tiler mud/grout an you get a Boss flipping job ...;)

use diy shed gear an expect the job to be ........:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back