Tiling on 18mm ply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently had an extension built onto my home. At present there is no floor. I am thinking to screw 18mm wpb ply to the joists with noggins in between. Could anyone tell me if this would make a suitable base for tiles?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean noggins first and then sheets of ply?

If so, then yes - it will form a sound base.

Make sure you use WBP plywood, or, if you have money to burn, marine ply.

Hi,

I have recently had an extension built onto my home. At present there is no floor. I am thinking to screw 18mm wpb ply to the joists with noggins in between. Could anyone tell me if this would make a suitable base for tiles?

thanks
Hi,
i think i understand it will basically be a floating floor ?,if this is correct most pro tilers avoid them like the plague :eek:.This is because even though the floor would feel solid the prob you have is not movement (up and down) but movement from side to side as the floor is not fixed at the edges,just sort of sat there.However bal make a product which is specially designed for this (think its called bal ultra flex ? ask in tile shop) it is very good but very expensive,i have used it on a number of jobs with no probs.You would also need to use a flexi grout :D
Hope this helps :D

Sponsored Links
You know best - you're the "Top Tiler".
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Should be had enough practice 20+ years in 3 diff countries (always going on every course i can and keeping updated with all new products available and still learning taking advice from other PRO tilers etc) NEVER HAD ANY COMEBACKS PROBS ETC may have read the post wrong first of all but ANY GOOD TILER will agree with the advice i have given :p what is your trade ? :rolleyes: :LOL:

You may also want to prime the ply with a good acrylic primer fruitcake some tilers do and some dont and make sure the joints are stagered (like brickbond pattern) :D

Top Tiler said:
what is your trade ? :rolleyes: :LOL:
Ha ha ha. That's so funny. My trade is village idiot. I go on all the courses I can, plus I spend my leisure time sitting in the stocks, paddling in the duck pond with my socks on, forecasting sunrise at about 11am, and showing anyone who's interested the pair of camels I keep in a matchbox. I'm saving up for a pair of shoes and a haircut.

Top Tiler said:
what is your trade ? :rolleyes: :LOL:
Ha ha ha. That's so funny. My trade is village idiot. I go on all the courses I can, plus I spend my leisure time sitting in the stocks, paddling in the duck pond with my socks on, forecasting sunrise at about 11am, and showing anyone who's interested the pair of camels I keep in a matchbox. I'm saving up for a pair of shoes and a haircut.
:eek: EH? keep taking your medication im sure it will all turn out alright in the end :LOL: im pleased i have brought some joy into your life :p and would love to hear more about the SPECIAL COURSES for SPECIAL PEOPLE that you have been attending ;) :LOL:

No medication - I just chew tobacco and drink zyderrr.

I could while away the hours
By tilin' people's showers
And groutin' in the rain
With my Rubi I'd be scratchin'
And the borders, I'd be matchin'
If I only had a brain....

No medication - I just chew tobacco and drink zyderrr.

I could while away the hours
By tilin' people's showers
And groutin' in the rain
With my Rubi I'd be scratchin'
And the borders, I'd be matchin'
If I only had a brain....
:LOL: :LOL: :p Your one funny fecker ! and you must be a tiler ? as you have a sense of humour ;)

Ah, but I'm only a lowly bottom tiler.

Wheeeeeere's me washboy?!

arthur_atkinson.jpg

Ah, but I'm only a lowly bottom tiler.

Wheeeeeere's me washboy?!

arthur_atkinson.jpg
What do you mean (lowly bottom tiler) im guessing your taking the **** out of the top tiler bit :p :LOL: was the first name i could think of :LOL: i really dont think i know it all just trying to help some of the guys on here out ;) take care mate im off to change my forum id if it will feckin let me he he he :D

Thanks for your help guys.

So, just to recap,

If I screw and glue 18mm wbp ply to the joists with the joints stagered and noggins in between the joists then this should form a suitable base on which to lay tiles.

Does anyone think that the ply needs to be thicker than 18mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back