Tiling on 18mm ply?

Theres a sticky by Gcol on this forum. Have a read because he explains what you are asking in there. From memory though i think he suggests 25mm ply.

Sponsored Links
Just thought it would be thorough and help to eliminate movement. If you think its pointless though I won't bother.

If it's screwed down then it's screwed down.

All gluing will achieve is to make lifting the boards difficult in the event that you, or anyone else, ever had to.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate. Perhaps I will give the gluing a miss then. Just thought that when you lay ply for tiling the common practise was to glue it as well.

You're doing something different though, aren't you?

Most people lay thinner ply on the existing flooring - you're replacing the flooring, hence the need for 18mm ply.

18mm ply screwed ecery 200mm with nogins to support the edges & any joins not supported along a joist will be fine; as long as there is no undue flex in the floor! & use trade quiality flexible adhesive & grout (BAL) not the DIY stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back