Tiling on chip board previously exposed to water

I think I have decided on the following, please can you confirm if it should work/ end in disaster.

Rip out the chipboard around the bath area (the bath has a shower connected), exposing the stud wall underneath.

Remove only the chipboard down to the level of the bath, seal this with a permanent flexible sealent, and use aquapanel to cover the exposed stud wall (from the bath to ceiling)

Is aquapanel better to use than water resistant plasterboard ?

Will fitting the aqualpanel to the stud wall, rather than the metal from from the maker's website have any effect?

Leave the chipboard for the other areas that wont have water contact, tank the chipboard and tile.

Should I tank the aquapanel as well as the website says it allows water through (if water does get through, the stud wall should provide the ventilation the website mentions is needed?

Having removed a bit of the stud wall, there is filler (looks like loft insulation), I assume for soundproofing. Should I keep this in or remove it (I think keeping it negates the benefits of the ventilation).

I think that is all my questions, cheers for answering

Sponsored Links
Replace the chipboard (down to the bath) with ordinary plasterboard. Tank the plasterboard in the wet areas.
There's no need to tank the chipboard in the dry areas.
(I'm fed up of saying this) Tanked plasterboard provides a 100% waterproof barrier - aquapanel does not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back