Tiling on damp plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The fitter has stripped out the bathroom and plumbed the water/drains ready for the new one to be installed.

The plasterer will finish next Tuesday. Some of the walls will have bonding where the are low bits. I think Wednesday he will skim it all. The corner where the shower is going is existing dry plaster/skimmed level.

Thursday the fitter will come back and fit the bathroom. There are a couple of other small jobs to do. If he does the other jobs then fit the bathroom, I think he will start fitting tiles for the shower Friday, then fit the shower. Then he will tile the rest.

If I have guessed the timing correctly, does that sound long enough time before tiling over fresh plaster. (sorry so long)
cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Skimming the walls is going to reduce your load bearing capacity for starters. And bear in mind that if your tiles fall off you won't be covered as BS is at least 3 or 4 weeks drying time whether it's a 1mm skim or not.

Hi,
As the customer, who is hoping not to upset the workman, how do I let him know, his timing is not right?
C.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
As the customer, who is hoping not to upset the workman, how do I let him know, his timing is not right?
C.

I'd juat point blank tell him. Or I'd just say something like: So how long do the manufacturers want you to wait before tiling over fresh plaster? If he says it's fine then ring BAL or Mapei in front of him. If he still argues then tell him your saving him work. Is he tanking the wet areas btw? He should be. If he doesn't want to tank then is he using a waterproof substrate? WBP ply isn't exactly good. Just cheaper than Hardie.

Hi,
C.
Most manufacturers will give direction on how there product should be used:
Such as for BAL White Star it states in their MI (manufacturer's Instructions):

"NEW GYPSUM PLASTER: Before commencing tiling, ensure that the plaster has been allowed to dry out by exposure to air for at least 4 weeks. Ensure that the finish coat has been applied and that the plaster is free from dust, efflorescence and friable material. Cut back any defective areas, including badly cracked plaster, to straight horizontal and vertical edges. Thoroughly dry brush background and edges and make good with plaster or a suitable non-shrinking filler. Plaster having a shiny, polished surface should be thoroughly brushed with a stiff bristled brush, followed by priming with a 1:4 BAL-BOND SBR:water mix or a 1:1 BALPRIME APD:water mix. Allow the primer to dry."

I would question the installer and ask what drying time is specified by the manufacturer, and show your concerns regarding this, you are paying for the work to be undertaken correctly and that you are unhappy to proceed without the MI being followed.

Hi,

I'm sure we've all learnt things on the job, and realise that the jobs we did before weren't quite right, so I don't mind helping him along. I'll try to work with the situation as best I can.

Half of the room is tiled up to 900mm then a gap that could be dabbed with 9.5mm plasterboard level. This leaves one tile on the new plasterboard and two over the basin. I assume that new un-skimmed can be plastered over.

The other half is sound plaster apart from some holes and scars. This half is where the corner shower is going to be.

If I mark where the tiles will be where the plasterer just skims to, so the tiles will either go on old tiles, new plasterboard or old plaster, does this sound ok?

For the shower area, he will use 'waterproof ' tile cement (I don't know which one) Will this be ok or can I waterproof the plaster for the shower?

EDIT: The job is being done for a price, plus any unforseen costs.

C.

Last edited:
Hardiebacker the shower area if it's scarred.

Hi,
I suggested the Mapei shower tanking kit: http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484 to the fitter and he said "If you're paranoid about it, you get it and I'll do it. I've never had any issues before." This will be what he calls and unforeseen, so I'll have to pay for it.

As mentioned before, as a customer, it's obviously best that we keep on good terms, and at the moment we still are, but this shows what can happen.

C.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back