Tiling on freshly platered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my bathroom re-plastered. Walls are now flat and sound. The plaster has all but dried out.

I have two questions please:

1. I assume as soon as the walls are dry they can be tiled straight away i.e. no need to wait a certain amount of time?
2. Do I need to seal the walls before tiling in the same way I will for the parts of the wall I am painting? Or is it better for the tiles go straight on the plaster?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
I've just had my bathroom re-plastered. Walls are now flat and sound.
Plastering/re-plastering is not ideal if you plan to tile, it has weight restrictions. This may be important or critical if you’re planning to use large format tiles. What is the size/weight of the tiles are you planning to hang?

The plaster has all but dried out. I assume as soon as the walls are dry they can be tiled straight away i.e. no need to wait a certain amount of time?
The plaster must be thoroughly dry before tiling or painting, for a plaster skim wait 10-14 days. A full base coat & skim will take up to 4 weeks.

2. Do I need to seal the walls before tiling in the same way I will for the parts of the wall I am painting? Or is it better for the tiles go straight on the plaster?
What do you mean by “seal the walls” & what were you proposing to use? The need for priming depends on which type of adhesive you use which will depend on the type, size & weight of your tiles. For priming always follow the adhesive manufacturer’s instructions, if in doubt use an acrylic primer, never use PVA. Use only quality trade adhesive & grout products available from your local tile distributor, the cheap DIY products on offer in the DIY sheds is mostly crap.

In preparation for painting, apply a wash coat of ordinary white matt emulsion, thinned 25-30% apply 2-3 coats in quick succession. Leave to dry overnight & then apply your chosen paint finish.

What are the walls constructed from render/plaster or plasterboard/skim? Do you have any wet areas – i.e. over bath or shower enclosure?

Plastering/re-plastering is not ideal if you plan to tile, it has weight restrictions. This may be important or critical if you’re planning to use large format tiles. What is the size/weight of the tiles are you planning to hang?
Tiles are 38cm by 24cm. Tile is a BCT Willow. They are fairly light.

The plaster has all but dried out. I assume as soon as the walls are dry they can be tiled straight away i.e. no need to wait a certain amount of time?
[/quote]The plaster must be thoroughly dry before tiling or painting, for a plaster skim wait 10-14 days. A full base coat & skim will take up to 4 weeks. [/quote] It's a skim and it's been 2 weeks now. Tiler is due in on Thursday.

2. Do I need to seal the walls before tiling in the same way I will for the parts of the wall I am painting? Or is it better for the tiles go straight on the plaster? [/quote]
What do you mean by “seal the walls” & what were you proposing to use? The need for priming depends on which type of adhesive you use which will depend on the type, size & weight of your tiles. For priming always follow the adhesive manufacturer’s instructions, if in doubt use an acrylic primer, never use PVA. Use only quality trade adhesive & grout products available from your local tile distributor, the cheap DIY products on offer in the DIY sheds is mostly crap. [/quote] Tiler said he would prime the walls first. Top man seems to know what he is doing.

In preparation for painting, apply a wash coat of ordinary white matt emulsion, thinned 25-30% apply 2-3 coats in quick succession. Leave to dry overnight & then apply your chosen paint finish. [/quote] Thanks for the above advice.

What are the walls constructed from render/plaster or plasterboard/skim? Do you have any wet areas – i.e. over bath or shower enclosure?[/quote]
Walls are render with a new skim. I'm having the walls around the bath done top to bottom in preparation for a shower over to be installed.

Sponsored Links
Tiles are 38cm by 24cm. Tile is a BCT Willow. They are fairly light.

The plaster must be thoroughly dry before tiling or painting, for a plaster skim wait 10-14 days. A full base coat & skim will take up to 4 weeks. [/quote] It's a skim and it's been 2 weeks now. Tiler is due in on Thursday.

2. Do I need to seal the walls before tiling in the same way I will for the parts of the wall I am painting? Or is it better for the tiles go straight on the plaster? [/quote]
What do you mean by “seal the walls” & what were you proposing to use? The need for priming depends on which type of adhesive you use which will depend on the type, size & weight of your tiles. For priming always follow the adhesive manufacturer’s instructions, if in doubt use an acrylic primer, never use PVA. Use only quality trade adhesive & grout products available from your local tile distributor, the cheap DIY products on offer in the DIY sheds is mostly crap. [/quote] Tiler said he would prime the walls first. Top man seems to know what he is doing.

In preparation for painting, apply a wash coat of ordinary white matt emulsion, thinned 25-30% apply 2-3 coats in quick succession. Leave to dry overnight & then apply your chosen paint finish. [/quote] Thanks for the above advice.

What are the walls constructed from render/plaster or plasterboard/skim? Do you have any wet areas – i.e. over bath or shower enclosure?[/quote]
Walls are render with a new skim. I'm having the walls around the bath done top to bottom in preparation for a shower over to be installed.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back