Tiling on multiple layers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to tile my conservatory.
I have just fitted an engineered oak floor to the lounge and there is a step down of approximately 1" to the laminated wooden floor in the conservatory.
I have checked and believe the following to be correct. The conservatory had a screed concrete floor interspaced with wooden batons, the next layer is a fibreboard (not ply) floorboard on which the laminated wooden floor is fitted. All of the flooring is stable with no flex or movement.
My question is (as it is a large area 21 sq/m) can I increase the height by bonding and screwing an inexpensive material such as osb or Chipboard
Note I have no damp problems

assistance appreciated

Sponsored Links
I would say ply it rather than chipboard, BS min is 15mm ply, so anything above that is fine. Just make sure it is screwed down a lot, would suggest every 300mm. Once that is done, SBR it and you're ready to go.

you could just get back to the screed and fit a backerboard..wedi/marmox etc they range in sizes from 6mm - 60mm so depending on thickness off your tiles and adhesive you could get a b/board size to siut.

As tictic said, that is probably the ideal situation. May run into cost problems there though as you'll be looking at around £600 to redo with wediboard based on a 50mm depth (14 boards). Marmol would probably be a bit cheaper, but even at a very good trade rate it might cost more pennies than it is worth.

Sponsored Links
1"=25mm
so 12.5mm b/board..hardie/aquapanel/wedi...etc then tile@8mm then bed of adhesive should get you there or abouts.

backerboards 1200x900 around £12-15..buying a few ask for more %..

That is about right if he doesn't strip back to screed, which once you add the thickness of laminate and fibreboard, i'd imagine you'd need something thicker than 12.5m aquapanel/hardi/marmol/wedi. Each mm costs money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back