tiling on plywood

alternativetiles said:
You were the one who said "Which is it? Tiler, or retailer?"
I asked you because you implied that you were used to using adhesive and then said you were a humble shopkeeper. It was a confusing post and I asked you to clarify it.

So I thought I would clarify exactly which it is.
Thanks you. However, I didn't raise the subject until you did.

Honestly guys I can not sell adhesive to people who are miles and miles away from me so you will have to take my word for it that I am on this forum to offer some free advice to my fellow human beings not to try and scam people.
I never said, or implied, that you were.

I speak with some experience and offer genuinely well intentioned advice.
I never said, or implied, that you didn't.

Sponsored Links
I might be getting off the original subject but I am about to start lining the walls in my bathroom, shower room to be precise, I will use backer board behind the shower but would like to use ply on the rest of the walls. Is there any problem tiling over a joint between backer board and ply?

The thread is from 2007 FWIW.

Why would you want to use wall fixed ply as a tiling surface?

There could be many problems tiling over backer board and ply.

The thread is from 2007 FWIW.

Why would you want to use wall fixed ply as a tiling surface?

There could be many problems tiling over backer board and ply.
Thanks. I was going to use ply as it seems easier to work with than backer board (possibly just a familiar material). I want to line the walls as they are really uneven with very poor plaster. I will strip off the plaster to the brick, fix battens every 400mm and then line the walls ready for tiles. Any advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links
FWIW: if you use the search button there's masses of info on here about tiling and tile backing materials for bathroom walls.

You will "line the walls" with what?

FWIW: if you use the search button there's masses of info on here about tiling and tile backing materials for bathroom walls.

You will "line the walls" with what?
After taking your advice and searching on here the walls will be lined with backer board. That will give a smooth, flat surface to tile.

The best job would be to knock off all the wall plaster and go back on with a render.
Render gives you control of plumbness, 90 degree squareness and depth of tile backing.

Backer board is typically used on stud framing for wet walls.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back