tiling on previously tiled wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have stripped my en suite and am about to re-tile. My question is can you tile onto old wall adhesive. ON stripping tiles some of the paper coating on plasterboard came away. If i can tile on adhesive do i need to seal plasterboard and with what. cheers :p

Sponsored Links
You posted the wrong forum; the Tiling forum is the one you want. You must get the tiling surface as flat as possible so need to remove tile adhesive where it is proud. It depends how badly the plasterboard has been damaged, it may need replacing which is usually easier & desirable given that what you most likely have just ordinary wall board. You would not normally seal new PB before tiling but follow the adhesive manufacturer’s instructions. In wet areas, PB should be tanked or it’s unlikely to last too long. If you replace the PB use a waterproof tile backer board rather than more PB.

Take some time out to read the Tiling Forum sticky & archive threads, lots of info & advice in there that may prevent you making expensive mistakes. Too many potential pitfalls to list but have a read & come back with specific questions if you need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back