Tiling on timber floarboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am tiling a very small (3 feet x 6 feet) toilet room. The tiles are 12"x12" so there is only going to be about 15 tiles in total.

I am not sure if I need to put ply down over the T&G floorboards or tile straight onto the boards. I don't want the height to raise too much and I want to take the toilet out and get the tiles under it but am not sure if I could reconnect the toilet at the new height as the socket connector to the soil pipe has a limited degree of movement.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for this.

There has always been an "off" kind of smell in the toilet room since we moved in and renovated the whole house.

I have removed the floor covering that I put down 2 years ago and I think that the smell is coming from the floor boards themselves. (The house used to be lived in a by a single man who was an alcoholic, so I think his aim for the toilet may not have been too good).

SO, with the above in mind, I have decided to replace all of the timber flooring. 2 questions now.

1. Do I replace the boards with 18mm flooring grade chipboard and tile directly on to this ? This would mean that the floor level wouldn't be much different and I wouldn't have to worry about the pan connector.

2. Do I use ply of some sort and tile onto this ?

I have got some really nice porcelain stone tiles that are 30 x 30 and really don't want to ruin the look of the floor by not doing it right.

Don't use chipboard. Either buy 8x4 18mm WBP ply or 22mm 8x2 T&G flooring ply which is WBP bonded. Screw to joists at 200cts and fit nogging under any joints if you use the square edged 8x4 sheets.

Flexi adhesive and grout.

Sponsored Links
Yep, what he said. Just make sure the adhesive and grout are the powdered flexible variety.
You're doing the right thing taking the floorboards up - it's time well spent. A big 2 thumbs up to you. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back