Tiling on to ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have plywood in the corner of my bathroom (floor to ceiling) that hides the waste pipes. Against this I will be putting the sink/vanity unit. Can I tile straight on to it as it won't be getting wet, or shouldn't be anyway? I'll be using BAL max flex adhesive if that helps at all.

If not, what are my options?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can tile straight on to ply. Hopefully, 3/4" ply?

Make sure the ply is well screwed and has no flex
As a belts and braces measure, you can run self sticking fibre mesh plaster board tape over any joins or outside corners.

No need for expensive adhesive, just a bag of cementitious powder and mix with water.

Yes, you can tile straight on to ply. Hopefully, 3/4" ply?

Make sure the ply is well screwed and has no flex
As a belts and braces measure, you can run self sticking fibre mesh plaster board tape over any joins or outside corners.

No need for expensive adhesive, just a bag of cementitious powder and mix with water.

No, it's only 6mm. :confused: And there are no joints except the outside corner. Just big long sheets. Doesn't appear to have any 'noggins' in it either. Could this be a problem with the weight of the tiles?

What you describe appears to be boxing in?

6mm is too light to tile on - i wouldn't use it for tiling on a floor or on a vertical but others might disagree.

If its in place then test it for any flexing - if it flexes its useless for tile, if not then its your call whether to go a head and tile, or replace with something stronger.

Sponsored Links
What you describe appears to be boxing in?

6mm is too light to tile on - i wouldn't use it for tiling on a floor or on a vertical but others might disagree.

If its in place then test it for any flexing - if it flexes its useless for tile, if not then its your call whether to go a head and tile, or replace with something stronger.

Yes sorry, that's exactly what it is. For the waste pipes going down and under the house.

Is there any way I can reinforce it without removing it? If I placed hardiebacker on it? Would that help it at all? :confused:

Sure, use adhesive - belt and braces. You can use the same cementitious powdered adhesive that you use on the tile.

AAMOI: i've never "glued" backer board and no call backs so far.

I would certainly seal it first with PVA or similar. Ply is porous and adhesive may not stick

I don't think Ply needs priming (but read the adhesive instructions). If you do prime it use proper primer for the adhesive don't use PVA - especially in the bathroom.

There is a waterproof PVA, but as he says its not going to get wet. Its just that tiles onto bare ply tend to fall off

You might be using the wrong adhesive if they're falling off.

I've just taken up a bathroom floor - Trav onto ply - and it had to be completely smashed with an SDS chisel to get it up. Well bonded doesn't describe it.

These days of course stone onto ply would be a heinous crime & you'd be lynched for not using matting but bonding to ply isn't an issue if you use the correct adhesive.

Use the special (ceramic coated) screws, else the rust will stain your grout

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back