Tiling on Tongue N Groove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to tile directly onto wooden tongue & groove, & if so what preparation is required?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes it is possible,the only thing you need to make sure of is that there is no flexing in the tongue and groove or itll just pop the tiles off.if it were me ,i would line the t+g with thin plywood to give a level secure surface then tile ontop of that.

This following bit of info is from the tiling section of this forum.

Timber floors
If you have floorboards or chipboard down, no matter how level and flat they are, you still need to overboard them with WBP (exterior grade) plywood. (WBP stands for Water and Boil Proof or is sometimes referred to as Weather and Boil Proof.) For over-boarding you need 12mm thick ply and screw it down every 200mm all over the face of the board. Use 25mm screws if you have 18mm floorboards and 30mm screws if you have 22mm floorboards - this should ensure that the screws don't go through the floorboards and risk damaging pipes or cables. If you remove the floorboards to replace with ply then use 25mm ply. If replacing, you need to add extra support (noggins) in between the joists and under the joints in the ply.

Don’t tile directly over T&G, it’ll almost certainly fail. As stated, you should overboard as a minimum but I would go further & say take the T&G up & replace it. You need a minimum 18mm WBP ply but, depending on the floor, you may need to go to 25mm. If you decide just to overboard, use 12mm WBP & screw every 200mm as stated but screw through the existing boards into the joists below & NOT just into/through the boards or the base can still move or curl, ruining the tiled floor. Watch for pipes/cables as stated & why I prefer to rip up & replace so you can see exactly where they are & avoid any risk. Any joins in the boards must be supported either along the centre of a joist or with noggins if anywhere other than around the extreme edge of the room. Use only quality trade, flexible adhesive & grout.

Sounds like a lot of trouble/expense but it’s not much extra really & your newly tiled floor will stand a much better chance of going the distance.

Sponsored Links
I was actually referring to T&G on the wall as opposed to the floor? Does this make any different to the responses?

Thanks

are you talking t+g looking the same as the floorboards or is it more like channel lining with a flat recess between each board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back