Tiling on top of floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a concrete floor which has been tiled with quarry tiles. All the tiles are sound. I want to tile the floor again and was wandering if anyone knew if it was possible to tile over the existing tiles and if so is there anything special I ned to do? The tiles have a matt.rustic surface.

Sponsored Links
it is possible, i take it they are pretty flat then , but im thinking if they are quarries they would be pretty think, have you thought about this? if you get standard size tiles on top including adhesive, you are talking about adding up to 12mm on top! and most quarries are a good size too. you may need a ladder to enter the room :LOL:

Hi jefoss, thanks for the reply. Yeah the main reasons I want to tile on top of these tiles is that they are stuck fast and that the room (don't ask me why) is lower than both rooms its adjacent to. Its a hallway with a kitchen on one side and a utility on the other side. Both the other rooms are tiled as well. The hallway is 12-14 mm lower than the other rooms.

I'm hoping if I thoroughly clean the floor I can go straight over the top.

Does anyone know if I need a special adhesive?

abcd

Tiling onto tiles is fine so long as the existing tiles are good and flat. Give them a good washing down with sugar soap (and rinse) before you tile.

make sure you stagger the joints so that youve not got joints matching up anywhere, sounds like your floor may be nice and level by the time you finish!

when you get the tiles ask the dealer what adhesive would be appopriate for the tiles you buy.

there will be a few suggestions off here no doubt and mine would be a porcelain adhesive. (and yes i would use this no matter what tiles you were using - porcelain or not)

Sponsored Links
Hi I'm new on here & it looks like a very useful forum that I will use regularly :) Can anyone reccomend an adhesive for tiling over very sound flat ceramics with black natural slate tiles? (it's a concrete floor underneath)

any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for info GCOL,

I've got 12sqm to cover, how many bags of that would i need? ( can't make out the writing in the photo), can i definatley tile over tiles with that?

Thanks again.

It depends on how thick you need to make the adhesive - if your tiles vary in thickness, you'll be packing up thinner tiles and therefore using more adhesive. As a rule though, for uniform thickness tiles, I generally allow a 20kg bag for every 4 metres. So if your tiles are uniform in thickness, you should be ok with 3 bags.
Yes you'll be ok with that adhesive to tile on top of existing tiles.

GCOL, can you reccomend a grout to go with the dark grey/black natural slate tiles please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back