Tiling onto old tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am just about to tile my bathroom from floor to ceiling.

There is one wall that is completely tiled already and I just wondered if I could apply new tiles over the top of the old ones, rather than rip the whole lot down first? The tiles on the wall are ceramic and seem sound.

The reason I ask is that the wall is a stud wall and I am sure that riping all the old tiles off will result in me replacing all the plasterboard. This is just awkward as its the wall that the side of the bath is against. I am also certain I will have to replace the otherside of that wall (bedroom wall) and this is another job I would not like to do unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ah thank you gcol, I must use that search function :rolleyes:

After reading those posts I have no doubts that when done right, new tiles will stick to old tiles adequately. My only worry is the weight of the whole new tiled wall may be too much for my poor stud wall.

The reason I worry is that all my stud walls are made of 1.25 inch baton with 12.5mm plasterboard either side. I think it will be fine if I use the small tiles but I was planning on the much bigger fancy tiles.

HHmmm I will let you know what happens when I decide :confused:

Just out of interest. I tested a patch by removing 2 tiles and it seemed to leave all the old fixing adhesive on the wall. Now I guess its removing this that will mess up my old plasterboard?

If so can I just not level the old adhesive off with new adhesive then start fresh? This way I won't have to worry about the extra weight gained by having 2 layers of tiles.

Shaun

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back