Tiling onto plasterboard - tile size advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I will soon be tiling a new ensuite where two walls have brand new plasterboard (shower area is tanked), and two walls are brick based with the usual plaster finish.

My wife has her eye on tiles which are 100cm * 33cm (9.2mm thick). Pretty big! I am planning to tile straight onto the plaster. Will these tiles being so big pose me any problems?

Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
even by todays standards they are big. you'll need very flat walls to get away with them.

re: onto plaster, you need to find out the tile weight, but my guess is they will be way above the limits for plaster.

You also need to use a powdered adhesive, not a ready mixed.

even by todays standards they are big. you'll need very flat walls to get away with them.

re: onto plaster, you need to find out the tile weight, but my guess is they will be way above the limits for plaster.

You also need to use a powdered adhesive, not a ready mixed.

all of the above...

1m tiles... be jeez.. them walls will need to be reinforced :LOL:

tham plastered walls.. wont take them mate,they will be FAR TO HEAVY...

[quote="JonHeath";p="2123522"
Will these tiles being so big pose me any problems?
[/quote]

Lots; tanked plasterboard will take 32 kg/sqm including addy & grout & I reckon 9+ mm tiles (depending on what they are) are going to be very close or exceed that; your into medium/heavy duty tile backer board territory & should never have used plasterboard.

Your well stuffed on the plaster as it will only take 20 kg/sqm; you either revise your tile plan or rip the PB down & overboard the lot with a decent backer board, the existing plaster included.

Sponsored Links
I won't be ripping the plasterboard down. As I said she had her eye on these tiles, I didn't say we've bought them.

To quote the Norcros "How to tile to plasterboard" guide "The maximum weight of tiling should not exceed 32kg/m2 (including the weight of adhesive), which is generally equivalent to natural stone with a maximum thickness of 10mm."

I haven't read anywhere which talks about the dimension of the tile having an effect on this recommendation. How does a larger tile in width/length increase the overall weight per m2?

Cheers

You can do large format onto those walls look at the Kerlite tiles. I did a bathroon in them last year 1000x400 and 3mm thick, also did the counter top in one of the larger 3000x1000x3 tiles though I chickened out of cutting this one and had it cut by my granite suppliers.

Couple of pics here not cheap though, think that lot cost about £4K.

I haven't read anywhere which talks about the dimension of the tile having an effect on this recommendation. How does a larger tile in width/length increase the overall weight per m2?

The issue is usually that the larger the format the thicker the tile, also unless your walls are spot on you will have to use a thicker adhesive bed and that also ups the weight

Jason

aye but them tiles are 3mm thick mate....

the one the op is suggesting (but not bought yet) are 9mm thick ...big differance in weight there ya not think...

yes I know that, I was suggesting the thinner ones as an alternative if she wants large format without the weight issue

J

You’re totally correct about the size of tile being irrelevant to the weight per sq/m, it’s the thickness & type of tiles you propose using which will dictate the weight per sq/m but don’t forget to deduct 4 kg/sqm for the addy & grout.

To quote the Norcros "How to tile to plasterboard" guide "The maximum weight of tiling should not exceed 32kg/m2 (including the weight of adhesive), which is generally equivalent to natural stone with a maximum thickness of 10mm."
32 kg/sqm is for raw or tanked plasterboard but I suspect you will be close to or exceed that depending on your tiles. For gypsum plaster, the max weight is just 20 kg/sqm, plaster in good condition & no paint; I can promise you your tiles WILL exceed that weight

You post seems to indicate your a little aggrieved by the advice you’ve been given my friend but I can tell you it’s good advice from one trade tile outlet & 2 pro tilers; if you have total faith in the Norcros guide ( which is a generalisation) then feel free to go with what you feel is right; good luck, your choice matey ;)

Richard C";p="2123924 said:
You post seems to indicate your a little aggrieved by the advice you’ve been given my friend but I can tell you it’s good advice from one trade tile outlet & 2 pro tilers; if you have total faith in the Norcros guide ( which is a generalisation) then feel free to go with what you feel is right; good luck, your choice matey ;)

Not at all aggrieved. I appreciate people taking the time to offer me advice. Just making it clear that I'm at tile picking stage, so didn't consider myself well stuffed.

She's also got here eye on some 30*60cm tiles which are 8.6mm thick. I'll have to find out the weight of these.

Cheers

yes I know that, I was suggesting the thinner ones as an alternative if she wants large format without the weight issue

J

have fixed the tiles you are talking about.....

they are unforgiven for lippage if them WALLS are not true.. ;)

Just making it clear that I'm at tile picking stage, so didn't consider myself well stuffed.
Twas a figure of speech my friend, just a figure of speach :rolleyes: Good luck with it but I’ll take a back seat then; just make sure you prep correctly & use the right addy/grout ;)

You’re totally correct about the size of tile being irrelevant to the weight per sq/m, it’s the thickness & type of tiles you propose using which will dictate the weight per sq/m but don’t forget to deduct 4 kg/sqm for the addy & grout.

32 kg/sqm is for raw or tanked plasterboard but I suspect you will be close to or exceed that depending on your tiles. For gypsum plaster, the max weight is just 20 kg/sqm, plaster in good condition & no paint; I can promise you your tiles WILL exceed that weight

hoh...rich... i have just finnished my shift at ASDA....back breaking stacking them shelves.... :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back