Tiling over bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, at the moment I have wooden floorboards down in my bathroom, my plan was to cover these with backer board before tiling, however I could do with some of the floorboards elsewhere. Due to various jobs involving electrics and plumbing some of my other floorboards are knackered and need replacing. I’d like to take the floorboards up and replace them with some WBP plywood. What’s the minimum thickness I can get away with? I’ve read that I should use 25mm, is this correct? I’m trying to avoid too much of a step up in height as you enter the bathroom. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
you can buy treated chipboard panels which are 22mm and will give a good base for tiling, but personally I'd want another layer on top.

Thanks. I have some 6mm backer board at home. I’ll look into what you recommended but getting hold of it at the minute could prove difficult

As motobiking says, P5 moisture resistant T+G chipboard flooring would be ideal. Make sure there is no movement or bounce in your floor before fitting though. Overboard with either 6mm No More Ply or Hardibacker, glued and screwed as per each ones instructions. Tile using flexible adhesive.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back