Tiling over stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have done a number of tiling projects in both my last house and this house. I know some people might think this is criminal but I want to tile over the old stone flooring in the kitchen. It's in terrible condition and hasn't been looked after by previous owners, it looks like outdoor flagging and really isn't worth keeping, so I want to continue the slate from the dining room into the kitchen. There I used hardibacker as it was a wooden floor. But what about tiling on top of the stone? Would it be a case of using primer and off you go with the adhesive and tiles? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If your flags are solid I'd be happy to tile over them. If your Hardibacker floor is higher than the flags I'd probably pour a levelling compound over them to flatten everything out and make tiling much easier. Prime before levelling compound and/or adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back