tiling over tiles (oh no, not again i hear you say!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a floor to tile, kitchen , about 10 metres. I tiled this floor about 18 years ago, octagon and dot, fixed sand and cement styly. It ain't coming up! They have a slight sheen. Just want to know how some of you other fixers would approach this. Normaly i would use Bal Fast Flex as this stuff sticks anything, but the new tiles going down have big holes in the back so they will need back buttering and FastFlex would cost me a fortune. Its a sort of budget job as she is an old lady customer of mine, you know what i mean. I was thinking a 2 part self leveling compound and then a regular rapid sticky over the top. JC, what do you reckon?

Sponsored Links
Got a floor to tile, kitchen , about 10 metres. I tiled this floor about 18 years ago, octagon and dot, fixed sand and cement styly. It ain't coming up! They have a slight sheen. Just want to know how some of you other fixers would approach this. Normaly i would use Bal Fast Flex as this stuff sticks anything, but the new tiles going down have big holes in the back so they will need back buttering and FastFlex would cost me a fortune. Its a sort of budget job as she is an old lady customer of mine, you know what i mean. I was thinking a 2 part self leveling compound and then a regular rapid sticky over the top. JC, what do you reckon?

what type of tiles, and size will you be fixing over old ones ?

old ones will need to be clean and free from any grease etc (sugar soap is good)

only certain adhesives are suitable for tile on tile ( fastflex , mapei, kerrakwik are all suitable and in single part flexi)

An important thing to remember when tiling over existing tiles is that you must stagger the joints. No new joint should be over an old one.

when you say big holes in the back, what exactly do you mean?

If it were me, and tile over tile was the only option, i would prime the floor with SBR and a little bit of sand mixed in ( adhesive will stick well)
and as you say a good rapid set flexible addy such as mapei, Bal etc, that would`nt cost to much to do

OR you could always
Clean floor, use sbr and cement slurry then use flexible adhesive before slurry dries.Will stick like sh#t :LOL: :LOL:

if when you first layed the floor it was level then really you shouldnt need a SLC, if you wanted you could even use a thinset mixed with an acrylic latex admix instead of water

hope this helps

You naughty, naughty, naughty man you should know better :LOL: . If you’re a BAL man, what about Rapidset with Admix AD1, 1:1 water/AD1; or you could try an AD1/cement slurry primer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back