Tiling over vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - appreciate any (safe) advice! Just got a new property (c1973) and there are some old vinyl floor tiles that need addressing in kitchen. Theres this talk that they may contain asbestos. Im slightly worried about the costs to test and if positive remove them! Anyone know what were talking about for a 3.3x2m space?
As a cost-saving option, is it safe/reasonable to overlay porcelain tiles onto this surface if they are in reasonable position or is it a no-go if you're not sure of the state of the surface under the tiles?
I know that at the end of the day safety>money but just keen to know options!
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
i've seen these sorts of tiles tiled over and never heard of a call back. If there down soundly they you might get away with it.

No doubt the purists on this forum will have a heart attack at the advice i've just given you. My credentials: Owned a contract tiling company and a shop employing 40+tilers have done shop fits, countless new build housing Lon,don underground, new javelin depots in Kent etc etc however the risk is yours to take. Also get advice from the adhesive manufacturers they have a helpline on their products which are designed by scientists and there the people who know.

i've seen these sorts of tiles tiled over and never heard of a call back. If there down soundly they you might get away with it.

No doubt the purists on this forum will have a heart attack at the advice i've just given you. My credentials: Owned a contract tiling company and a shop employing 40+tilers have done shop fits, countless new build housing Lon,don underground, new javelin depots in Kent etc etc however the risk is yours to take. Also get advice from the adhesive manufacturers they have a helpline on their products which are designed by scientists and there the people who know.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back