tiling - plasterboard in kitchen not level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the midst of our kitchen refurb which I am totally Diying.

There 2 sq m of wall that I need to tile and theres one area on one wall beneath the wall units approx 1/2 square metre thats set 10mm too far back as a result of the housebuilder not dot and dabbing the board completely flat. I need to build out this surface before tiling. I was going to use tile adhesive to depth of approx 8mm but have told thats a NO! So now thinking about plaster bonding coat and skim. Waiting 4 weeks for this smallish area of plaster to dry before a I can tile might result in a divorce!! is there any way round the 4 week wait???

Sponsored Links
D&D boards are plumbed - are you saying that your board is 10mm out of plumb?
Are the boards on either side plumb and proud of the 10mm shy board?
Has the wall been taped and skimmed?
Have you had a long straight edge horizontally across three boards at least?

I've got a vertical bulge in the centre of the 5' long wall area beneath the wall cupboards. The bulge area coincides with the centre line of the stainless hood. If you put a straight rule to the left side and running over the bulge theres approx 10mm gap to the RH end of the rule. At the RH end it butts up to a oven cupboard so cant see if that gap is a result of bowing behind the cupboard. If you rock the level on the bulge you get a 5mm gap each end. Dont think the boards are taped as there is hairline crack down the join. I suppose I could pack out the tiles 5mm each end but would rather have it flatter to start with as not that great at tiling.. Yes boards appear to have been skimmed but only literally the thinnest of a finish

If you use cement based powered adhesive you should be fine packing out by 8mm. However, you will have to to take extra care to keep the tiles flat and level as you won't be working off a flat surface.

The other option is to remove the plasterboard and replace with a tile backer board which you can then set flat and in the right place.

Sponsored Links
ok well thats preferable to using bonding plaster.:) Guy in the tile shop (Giant one) told me I couldnt pack out with adhesive as tiling on top of that when dry would mean less adhesion. So I'm defo alright packing out with bagged adhesive??? (got some mapei keraflex) I think I'll be ok keeping them flat if I do this, much more so than laying on a massive thick bed of adhesive to make up the for the wall running out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back