tiling plastered wall with gap at bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished tiling my bathrrom floor and about to get started on the walls. The walls were plastered two weeks ago, the plasterer did not plaster right to the floor (is this because of damp?)(and i was not there when he finnished to question) There is a 6cm gap, see pic.

Should I fill in this gap with plaster fully or leave a smaller gap or just fill it with adhesive?

Thanks
Chris[/img]

Sponsored Links
few things u could do.
1. sand/cement
2.rapidset addy
3.cut strips of backerboards or plasterboard an infill with them, if using these, leave gap between wall an floor, just sit them on top off 4/5mm floor spacer.
as for ur wall has the plaster dried? 2weeks? imo will usually take longer for it to dry.
member u have less weight per m2 on plasterd wall. 20kg.

Hi tictic, the plaster was just a skim over plastered block walls, I thought the skim should be dried by now?

For quickness I might try the infill with plasterboard, whats the best way to fix to the wall? Wall behind is brick/block.

Tiles are about 248x398mm, what size spacer should be used?

Thanks again

We used sand and cement to fill similar gaps.

For your tile size I personally would use 4mm spacers.

Sponsored Links
place a strip of celotape on the wall leave for few minutes then peel of, if plaster comes away then still drying.
drywall adeshive or rapidset addy for p/board infill put screws through d/dabs to.
as for spacers min 2mm u will c by ur tile working size 248x398..2mm will make 250x400..but its what size u would like min required is 2mm for walls and 3mm min for floors.

prime walls with apd or similar and use powwered addy.

Thanks for the replys.

Selotape peeled off easy with no plaster.
I started the tiling on the walls at the weekend, filled in the gaps with plasterboard and grip, solid when dried.
I used 3mm as 2mm did look too small and 3mm will hopefully hide some of my mistakes better, tiles not totally level.

One other question, I have nearly tilled all the way along the batton on the wall. When I mix up more adhesive (Bal Rapid) is it ok to fix the 2 last tiles on the second row then the two on the third, then remove the batton to start cut/fixing the bottom row? Basically how long before the adhesive will hold the tile? I know a mixed pot of rapidset only lasts 45mins so need to be quick.

I suppose I can mix up a small batch for the 4 tiles.

I have still to fix any of the glass border tiles, rather than make a mess on the wall with excess adhesive can I just butter the backs of them? any reason not to?

Thanks

for ur glass border tiles check the fixing instructions that came with them or call manufacturers regarding what type of addy 2 use when fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back