Tiling/Plastering questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Going to be embarking on a new bathroom at my house, only a very small room just less than 2m by 2m give or take. Currently has a bath, sink & toilet in it but going to be having a shower over the bath as the only real change.

I'm wanting to have a go at tiling for the first time floor to ceiling and know it's probably not the easiest job to start with but willing to give it a shot with a little help and advice along the way. With it being an older house (1930s) most of the walls have been a bit out, also along the entire back wall of the house including in the bathroom is a wooden beam and after pulling the coving down the plaster has obviously fell off this part as the wood will have sucked the moisture out the original plaster.

I suppose cutting to the question do you think it would be easier for a first time tiler to rip all the plaster off the existing walls and dot and dab aquapanel (or some kind of moisture resistant plasterboard) directly on to the walls then tile on top to make sure I have the best surface to work from?

If that's the best option would I need to skim over the top or can you tile directly onto the aquapanel/boards?

Edit - There is no room in here to fix battens to the walls to screw boards too so edited from aquapanel to whatever the best boards would be to do the job?? Recommendations very welcome :)

I've already bought one of those DIY tanking kits to do the shower area over the bath to ensure it will all be watertight as possible.

Floor will also be tiled but as a few of the existing floorboards are shabby I'll rip the lot up and put down 25mm WBP rather than overboard or use backer boards

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Without photos of the wall surface(s) how can your question be answered?
I'd suggest that you read back on this forum for similar posts and answers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back