Tiling shower cubicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone please advise?

I have been asked to tile 2 shower cubicles. They are side by side (like toilet cubicles) and have been built in the empty roofspace of an industrial unit alongside a small gym for employee use at lunch times etc. They have been constructed of timber frame with mdf overboarding. They were initially tiled but apparently the tiles fell off! They have since been covered in a pvc type sheet which is buckling, not through water penetration but just the construction of the material and how it has been bonded on. I am going to take the walls back to the mdf. What would be recommended for covering prior to tiling in 20 x 25 white 'bumpy' ceramic tiles?

Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
MDF is completely unsuitable as a tile base & I’m not surprised the tiles fell off! The chances are the MDF has also been water damaged & I would advise you strip it right back to the timber studding & start again. Make sure the studding is not water damaged, is dry & the construction is of suitable rigidity & then re-board with a 12mm waterproof tile backer board. All board joints must be supported & avoid joints coinciding with tile grout lines as far as is possible.

Are you doing this as a tradesman or favor for someone? The use you describe is likely to be far more arduous than a domestic shower, bordering on commercial use. It goes without saying, the shower construction & tiling materials used must of suitable specification or it won’t last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back