Tiling shower enclosure - found damp bricks behind tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. New to the forum but have been reading for a while.

I recently purchased my first house with my girlfriend. We have slowly been doing it up before we move in. Today I thought I would reseal and regrout the shower enclosure as the grout was cracking and the sealant was old.

When removing the sealant it became apparent that there had possibly been a leak before by various layers of sealant in places.

When removing the sealant inside the shower at the bottom, the tiles started to fall away. I removed the tiles and found what seems to be damp bricks, or at least the remains of what was once a brick.

Picture here: http://i.imgur.com/zyLAgYP.png

What are my options here? This part of the wall joins next door (mid terraced). The house has an extension that starts about 3ft to the right of those bricks. I assume all the tiles need to be removed for further inspection?

Thanks. Chris.

Edit: after taping the tiles all around that area, the next tile along from the picture (to the right) sounds hollow so not properly adhered the to wall. The tiles directly above the affected area also sound hollow. All the others above and to the side sound like they are adhered correctly still.

Edit 2: image link fixed

Sponsored Links
Couldn't see the image.
If water has got behind it could have rotted the brick/plaster. It will need to dry out before you can do anything.
The experts will no doubt add some more info soon.

Why not post pics of the whole tiled area and a pic of the external wall.

If the pic shows an internal party wall then the damp is possibly coming from your shower or coming thro from the neighbour's whatever?

If its an outside wall maybe, moisture is penetrating.

You must find the cause before any re-tiling etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back