Tiling under boiler & boxing in Pipes..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd very much appreciate any help I you guys can offer, I have tried to search the forums for something similar but I didn't find anything, but apologies if this has been answered before

Sorry if this turns out to be a long description but here goes

I am currently tiling the kitchen splashbacks and have done all the worktops except under the boiler. There seems to be a stop cock of some sort connecting the boiler to the pipes and some other bits I feel will need accessing so I wish to create a create a door type opening, but to blend in with the rest I thought I would tile the front to match the rest of the worktops. See Pic below

90252-8566035becca522ced29f426622d8f93.jpg

I was thinking of creating a frame using 1x1 batons and a piece of 6/12mm hardibacker board screwed onto the batons (I have some offcuts lying about) for good solid adhesion

I was thinking of using standard door hinges but my worry is that the weight of the tiles, adhesive & grout will be too much for the hinges or that section and will cause the 'door / opening' to sag and drag on the worktop as the depth from the board to the back of the tiles won't be deep enough to get the screws in to have a solid grip and I don't think stuff like no nails / sticks like will be useful either (but I could be wrong)

Part two of what I propose isn't as tricky but what I also wish to do is box in the pipes going to the upstairs toilet but I've got a Magnaflow connected and also I don't wish to conceal the stop valves which are connected to the pipes, I have circled this as the pic quality isn't that good.

The green highligting is what I'll be boxing in with more 1x1 batons and then standard plasterboard screwed on top

My concern here is how to have an opening or leave a gap for a screwdriver to get through to the valves should we need to turn the water off for any reason, I also wish to have the magnaflow filter protruding out as I dont want the boxing to be so deep

90254-ec041cff090d11fa8a52625705f0eb51.jpg

Bottom half highlighted red is the area I wish to create the tiled door opening

Again sorry for the long post but just wanted to get my thoughts & concerns noted down

I really would appreciate any help / advice anyone can offer

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2047.JPG
    IMG_2047.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 718
  • Under boiler.jpg
    Under boiler.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 751
Sponsored Links
I would think the hinged door idea would be a lot of hassle. What we generally do is just make a L shaped boxing slide it in over the pipes and run the tiling round, then run a neat bead of silicone up the internal corners to hold it in place. If you need to get to the taps, stanley knife the silicone and pull the whole boxing out.
I'd do the upper 'fixed' boxing first and make the lower removable part to line up nicely with it.

Kev that's true it does seem lot of hassle but thought it'd be easier in the long run to have constant access but your idea is better.

What could I do about wanting to have access to the isolation valves which are higher up on the vertical runs of the pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back