Tiling under lip of bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Putting in a bath and deciding how to tile the panels below the lip of the tub. Bath is Poly.

I can allow enough room to have the tiles go all the way up under the lip of the tub, which makes for better waterproofing, but leaves the lip overhanging and sticking out about 7mm

OR

I can set the bath so that the Tiles are flush with the lip, which looks better, but is not such a good waterproofing seal. We get a lot of movement with droughts and floods, so I'm trying to avoid any leaks.

Anyone done a lot of bath tiling?

What's the usual way?

Thanks,

Jaq.

Sponsored Links
The way we generally fit them in the uk is fix the bath to the wall with fixing brackets then use silicone around all edges connecting to walls,then tile from the edge of the bath (over the silicon)
then when tiling is complete silicone the bath/tile joint (make sure the bath is full of water when siliconing and leave over night)

jack - as to the lip/panel interface ... position the panel behind (under) the lip, this allows for silicon seal and produces a desirable 'shadow line'. In attempting to get it flush you'll be left with an unsightly, uneven and leaky join; it will also not accommodate movement, tucking the panel under the lip will. Also below is a copy of advice I posted a while ago:

"Make the frame from treated battern, it just needs to be screwed together. Ok, how to tile the panel? Assume you're using exterior grade ply (moisture resistant). DO NOT use wall-tile adhesive to fix the tiles to ply - the tiles may not stick permanently.

Method:
Dry fit panel to framework to make sure of clearances, ease of fitting, etc.
Remove the panel from the framework and lay flat, we usually do this over the bath if space is tight or otherwise on the floor. This is where you tile. Fix the tiles to the ply using solvent GRIPFIL - apply the Grip in a square , say 10 to 15mm in from the edge, around the back of the tile and a dot of Grip in the centre. Set the tiles on the ply by sliding into position, position with spacers, allow to set. Remove spacers, lift panel into position, masonary drill through the tiles to provide holes for your chrome capped screws into the batterns, screw into position, put the caps on (otherwise the threaded holes will get blocked-up with grout. Then grout with waterproof stuff. When all is dry run a bead of decent silicon along underside of bath rim/top of panel intersection.

So you don't tile with the panel in situ."

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I will tile under the lip as the waterproofing is most important and it's a timber home, so there can be a bit of movement with the seasons. The 'shadow line' is a better way of looking at it than "it sticks out". It's a Japanese style bathroom with a shower onto floor and the whole room tanked to 1.8 metres so there'll be plenty of water going over the edges of the bath.

Sorted, Thanks.

Jack Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back