Tiling up to a doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When tiling up to a doorway should i set my tiles out so that i have a full tile finishing in front of the threshold or should it be a half tile......hope this makes sense

Pete

Sponsored Links
You set the tiles out so that no threshold or abutment ends up with a thin tile offcut.
Look for at least a half tile to meet a wall for instance - same, to evenly balance out, at the opposite end of the tile field.
Full tiles or nearly full tiles is best but half tile is respectable.

Do you know how to lay out prior to tiling?

Thanks vinn...ive laid them down in order to mark a straight line to work from .....i was going to Have a row of full tiles butted up to the threshold however i was told that was the wrong way to do it and that it should be half a tile...i will have half tiles along the walls

Cheers
Pete

Post a photo if you want - I dont understand what you mean?

Before dry setting out tiles you should have chalk lines showing the centre of the field and a ninety degree cross. You then back and fill to adjust for equal cuts all round if possible.

Sponsored Links
I know it's hard to describe and even harder for you without seeing it...ill try and get a photo up

14746556704712069552322.jpg

Excuse the hole in my sock lol.....this is how i was wanting then to finish at the door however was told this was wrong and i should finish here with half tiles instead.

Nothing wrong with that as such but there are other variables to take into account:
dry set out the row of tile back into the WC compartment until it hits the furthest wall -
or, stop at the WC compartment threshold door stop line -
equal up the cuts at either end ( remember to use spacers) -
at the WC compartment, move a couple of tiles over to the left and then continue back to the furthest wall in the living room -
check the size of the cuts again.

Assuming, as I have, that the living room is being tiled then you will have to balance out all cuts at all abutments in that room -
It will probably mean juggling with the setting out you've already done -
But after a little frustration it will settle itself with roughly equal cuts.

FWIW: none of my business but thats a terrific wood floor you have.

Thanks....its an amazing floor once it's sanded..we have it in the living room and dining room but we have a dog that's scrapes and scratches the floors and the hall would be a mess as he sleeps there and goes nuts when the door goes.....later on once we no longer have a dog i would like to rip the tiles back up and resand and varnish all the floors

Well after buying tiles and laying them down for fitting etc we decided to take them back and sand the floor instead

Well after buying tiles and laying them down for fitting etc we decided to take them back and sand the floor instead

That tickled me for some odd reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back