Tiling Without Using Grout??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer wants a shower tiled without grout lines(butted). There are foot square marble tiles to use.
I have never tiled anything without grout. I told her I could not guarantee the result for any number of years? :confused:

Sponsored Links
You're definitely going to need to tank the walls.
You're definitely going to struggle to get them perfectly flat.
You're definitely going to need to grout over the tiny gaps in the tiles. This will invariably come loose a short while after your cheque has cleared. ;)

My advice to you is simple. NEVER BUTT UP TILES IN A BATHROOM.
Rarely is it acceptable to butt up tiles, other than dry decor areas ie fireplace surrounds. Always Grout to waterproof or cover expansion issues.
Decline to do job if she wants it done that way. It wil come back in your face !

Sponsored Links
Yeah ! That's right do not go with the guarantee job. It's a best solution of this matter.

If you don't grout then you're going to have to cut every tile so that it matches up perfectly with the adjacent ones.

Tiles never seem to be cut perfectly at 90 degrees so if you don't cut each one after a few tiles going up you'll have run out and gaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back