Tiltable down lights needed, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can anyone advise/recommend me some tiltable down lights please

I need 12 in total, ceiling height is 6 lights set at approx 2.3m height and 6 set at approx 2.5m height.

There's so many on fleabay I have no idea what's god or bad :confused:

The room itself is 6.2m x 3.2m if it helps

They will be fitted either side (above & below) of the velux Windows as seen in the photo

Any advice is most welcome

Thank you

Sponsored Links
My advice - downlights should not be used in that ceiling, at all.
I guess the space above the plasterboard is solid with Celotex etc insulation material. You would need to remove a good chunk of that round every downlight so they would not cook themselves. That will ruin the thermal characteristics of the ceiling and create cold spots all over the place.

In any case, how are going to run the cables for the lights, or is that already hidden behind the palsterwork?

My advice - downlights should not be used in that ceiling, at all.
I guess the space above the plasterboard is solid with Celotex etc insulation material.

Maybe I should have explained it a little better, there is a 50mm void between the plasterboard and the 100mm celotex insulation & I am aware that most down lights require 70mm+ in depth. So a cutout of 20/30mm really doesn't bother me too much

In any case, how are going to run the cables for the lights, or is that already hidden behind the palsterwork?

Yep, I'm not completely stupid albeit sometimes I act that way :D, the first fix was completed before plastering the ceiling taking into account my thoughts on lighting requirements :)

Sponsored Links
Ah, more info! you are one of the rare people who come on here who THINK about the job first! Congrats.

My thoughts:
1. You still must not chop out the celotex. If Building Control are involved, they will fry your backside. In any event you must maintain the thermal properties of the roof
2. Do not buy stuff from eBay. If its cheap, there's a reason. LED downlights should be installed and forgotton.
3. I would use the Inceptor micro downlights.
https://www.downlights.co.uk/click-inceptor-micro.html
They come with tilt and fixed bezel and are suitable for ceiling voids of 50mm+
In fact you'll have a bit more than 50mm as you'll have another 15mm for plasterboard & skim.
PS the Inceptors are guaranteed for 7 years.

Last edited:
PS the Inceptors are guaranteed for 7 years.
This is only the case if they are installed by a scheme member. To register the 7 year warranty you have to register them on the scolmore website, with the registration number of the company that fitted them. The form on the website also says you need an installation certificate, but gives you no way to upload it - not sure if they chase up a copy unless there's a warranty claim. But if it's a DIY job, it'll only be a 1 year warranty.

Which is what I said a day or two ago…;)
They come with tilt and fixed bezel

The micro is a lower profile too.

I wonder if Scolmore will start sending me some commission:D

I'll just configure the date in the matrix and power up the flux capacitor then jump back a couple of day, take stock of what you said first so again I won't look so stupid :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Cheers Doc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back