Light positions in extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, hoping someone can give us some ideas about our lighting.

We have a 6m x 6.5 extension which is an open plan kitchen/diner and living.

The wife wants 2 pendants over the dining table, and over the island. But we arent sure what to do about the spacing in the living room and kitchen.

The ceiling height is 2.5m, we also hve large 6.2m patio doors at the back, not sure if that will effect anything

I was thinking the livingroom lights will be 1.18m apart, 8 in total. Then with the kitchen, have 2 pendants over the island and then 3 or 5 spotlights running along the walkway of the kitchen if that makes sense.

Any advice welcomed

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8336.JPG
    IMG_8336.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
How is the extension roof constructed? I mean, is it a single story extension with a flat roof, or is it a pitched roof/ceiling, or are there rooms above?

What state is the extension in, is it fully constructed, plastered etc or is it ready for first fix electrics?

Also, the corner L shape marked "kitchen" is this just worktop, or are there wall cupboards all round on the walls?

We have a 6m x 6.5 extension which is an open plan kitchen/diner and living.
It's not really any of my business, but I'm a little intrigued ... if the living room, diner and kitchen are in an extension, what is actually in the 'main house'?

Kind Regards, John

How is the extension roof constructed? I mean, is it a single story extension with a flat roof, or is it a pitched roof/ceiling, or are there rooms above?

What state is the extension in, is it fully constructed, plastered etc or is it ready for first fix electrics?

Also, the corner L shape marked "kitchen" is this just worktop, or are there wall cupboards all round on the walls?
Its a flat roof extension, at the minute the roof is on and we are waiting to decide on light positions in order to continue, ring main wiring has been done. There will be wall units there too, heres kitchen plan in picture

It's not really any of my business, but I'm a little intrigued ... if the living room, diner and kitchen are in an extension, what is actually in the 'main house'?

Kind Regards, John
It was a very small bungalow, what was the original kitchen and bathroom is now our bathroom, original loung is now main bedroom, gone from a 2 bed to 3 bed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
It was a very small bungalow, what was the original kitchen and bathroom is now our bathroom, original loung is now main bedroom, gone from a 2 bed to 3 bed
Ah - I hadn't thought about bungalows! Thanks for clarifying.

Kind Regards, John

We have something similar is size and function. We decided that the kitchen area would use spots and under cupboard lighting, plus a variable height pendant over the table. The 'living' area is lit by a set of lighting sockets, all controlled by one wall switch. So we can arrange plug-in lamps as required to give a reasonable lighting effect. It works for us.
Peoples reactions to various lighting arrangements varies.

If it is a flat roof, then you have a serious problem with any recessed lighting, unless the roof has been designed as a 'warm roof' construction.

Normal/standard flat roof/ceilings are designed as cold roof and are provided stuffed full of thermal insulation. You will incur the wrath of building control if you go chopping great big chunks out of the Kingspan, and the moisture barrier, to enable your downlights to be sited.

Time for a rethink on that, maybe?

What about concealed LED strips around the perimeter of the room?

You don't really want pendants in the kitchen, as they'll pick up grease and dirt. I assume that the island has the hob in it, so how are you venting the cooking fumes. A pendant over the hob isn't really a good idea. Looking at the picture of the kitchen, you've got lights under the cabinets which is good, as the position of the ceiling lights means that you would be working in your shadow.

But you haven't mentioned what sort of lights you're going to use. LED downlighters don't throw much light sideways, so 1.18 may be slightly far apart. If they are LED downlighters, then find out the beam angles, and see what the coverage would be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back