Timber conservatory roof with no wall plates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am having a builder put up a conservatory with a solid timber roof and am quite concerned about the spread weight of the roof (also having two velux windows in the roof).

As you can see from the picture, at the moment they have the joists resting straight onto the frames so clearly they are not planning on putting in a wall plate, any ideas if this is acceptable or if this is going to be a recipe for disaster?

Attachments

• Polish_20210614_124320841_compress88.jpg
    Polish_20210614_124320841_compress88.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 427
Sponsored Links
Should have a plate going across to spread the weight.

In theory it may be ok as the roof weight may not be much. But I doubt it will be ok

A wall plate will help dissipate the downward thrust from each rafter, over a larger area, meaning your opening lights will still work. If it is well fixed, it may even prevent uplift as long as the plastic components are secure. It does not however counter the spread of the roof.
In theory it may be ok as the roof weight may not be much
It's not just dead loads or even live loads or snow loads but also wind loading to factor in.

I see there are collars - which will help a bit I suppose.:cool:

Why you wouldn't screw a 3x2" on top of the frames to start with is worrying.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, should I insist on a wall plate or is it OK as is? There are collars and have said they're planning to put in a tiebar or two for the spread weight

I've designed and built many timber conservatories - I would never build on without a headplate/ ringbeam.

And why have they put up 2 common rafters before cutting to length? - I don't get that.

Judging by the pitched roof, it looks like it's only connected to the house at the narrow end.

That means the conservatory will be subject to wind loads on the 2 longest sides. The solid roof will help make the structure stiff as it will be fixed to the house.

Yes the conservatory will need tie bars - you can get them with stainless catenary wire now which look quite contemporary, rather than the old conservatory threaded rod covered by a tube type.

I've designed and built many timber conservatories - I would never build on without a headplate/ ringbeam.

And why have they put up 2 common rafters before cutting to length? - I don't get that.

Judging by the pitched roof, it looks like it's only connected to the house at the narrow end.

That means the conservatory will be subject to wind loads on the 2 longest sides. The solid roof will help make the structure stiff as it will be fixed to the house.

Yes the conservatory will need tie bars - you can get them with stainless catenary wire now which look quite contemporary, rather than the old conservatory threaded rod covered by a tube type.

Thanks for this, I asked them about the ring beam and they said they haven't put it in because they find that it can cause more spread and the frames can take the weight. I now don't know if they're right or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back