Timber extention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm planning on building a timber extention on the side of my house, it will be 2.4 highest down to 2.3m away from the house. The area will be 6m parallel to the house x 2.4m out to the boundary leaving a 170mm gap to the fence, will be insulated and it doesn't exceed more then half the width of my existing house.

Does this all come under building regs or do I need to apply/tell the council?

Thanks alot
Craig

Sponsored Links
Will this be likely to be allowed under permitted development? Appreciate any help. It will be habitatable rather then an outbuilding but not a bedroom

Post a basic plan showing the proposed extension in relation the house footprint neighbours houses and boundary lines.

Also, are you confusing planning permission/permitted development and building regulations?

Sponsored Links
Post a basic plan showing the proposed extension in relation the house footprint neighbours houses and boundary lines.

Also, are you confusing planning permission/permitted development and building regulations?
Screenshot_20230820_134226_Samsung Notes.jpg
Blue is boundary/fence
Red exciting house and neighbours on the right
Yellow proposed 2.4x6m building using the outside wall as one of the walls for the new structure with kitchen back door opening into it

A side extension of that size and position would be permitted development, if you kept to the other criteria. You would have more to play with for the height at the eaves and if you wanted a higher roof jointed to the house.

The main one is that you want this in timber, but the PD criteria requires the external materials to be of similar appearance to the main house.

Also check you actually have PD rights to begin with.

Bear in mind for building regulations, timber frame construction will require suitable fire precautions at the boundary and within 1m of it - precautions against fire getting out and fire getting in from the neighbours. This applies to the walls and the roof.

Height is limited to 3m at the eaves, why would you only build it to 2.3m?
Just being respectful to my elderly neighbour, she says that will be nice but if she comes out her back door and has a 3m building immediately she may not think so

A side extension of that size and position would be permitted development, if you kept to the other criteria. You would have more to play with for the height at the eaves and if you wanted a higher roof jointed to the house.

The main one is that you want this in timber, but the PD criteria requires the external materials to be of similar appearance to the main house.

Also check you actually have PD rights to begin with.

Bear in mind for building regulations, timber frame construction will require suitable fire precautions at the boundary and within 1m of it - precautions against fire getting out and fire getting in from the neighbours. This applies to the walls and the roof.
Thats great help. Il look at my deeds for PD then?

Fire precautions eg fireproof boarding ect? Do you mean?

You check with the council for PD rights.

You'll want 2.3m internally floor to ceiling, then another 300mm for a flat roof, so 2.75m or there abouts external height from ground level/paving.

The requirement for spread of fire is quite strict, so it's not just about fire proof boarding, but the design and detailing to construct a suitable wall, cladding and roof - the eaves soffit and surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back