Timber for a good strong gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently deciding whether to go metal or timber for a couple of garden gates.

What is the best timber for such a gate?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get Iroko - it lasts longer and its cheap. Use it for anything outside.

Both of those woods are great - but please be aware that when working with iroko, some people find it to be a skin and nasal irratant as well the lungs! Great weathering properties (iroko) - goes a lovely grey. When working with the oak, try to use brass or stainless screws if you have to use any - otherwise you may get some black staining. Timber will always look great for a gate! Alternatively - if there are any cost constraints, try a good quality redwood then have it pressure treated. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
mum - painted or left natural?

Painted - use decent softwood from timber yard (not the nasty, twisted stuff from the DIY sheds). Properly constructed with appropriate joints, primed, 2 x undercoat, gloss finishes (always oil-based paint). It'll last for years - re-gloss maybe every 3 - 5 years.

Natural - always, always, oak! - in my opinion.

I was very interested to see that the garage a friend of mine was having built was green oak framed with dowel assembly - the wood was coming from a local mill and he said the cost was very competitive.

Could one build a gate on the same principal ?

Rob

this isnt spam guys. i work for a timber merchant in glasgow called - - - - - - LTD. We suppy all of the materials you suggested in this post. we do special seletion jobs. what i mean by that is say you want 2 or 3 pieces of timber to have matching grain, then we will dig through the pack to find ones that is suitable for you. or say you wnt knot free timber, then we will do the same thing.

i am the side loader driver in there and the manager of the company will be very happy with me if i get the company some business. so if you are goin to order anything , i would appreciate it if you said kevin the sideloader driver recommended you.

i hope you find something that will be usefull to you.

here is the website for us.

edited by moderator - see below

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back