Timber Frame and Rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had a timber frame house with 9mm OSB board exposed to the rain since December 2019. There is large voids for windows, bi-fold doors and roof is partially boarded. The delay is due to bad weather and Covid.

I am about 7 weeks away from wind and water tight

Here is a photo of the OSB board. I am just concerned that I may need to replace alot of the frame and do not know how much risk I am carrying.

Attachments

• 61840213418__236322ED-6B03-4EC8-9D78-876686D67B10.JPG
    61840213418__236322ED-6B03-4EC8-9D78-876686D67B10.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 246
Sponsored Links
is that osb exposed to the element or just sitting in water ??

is that osb exposed to the element or just sitting in water ??
That is under the wrap the water is coming through the board from the inside due to some of the roof not being on. Also all of it does not have wrap on it, going to try sort that at the weekend. The OSB is not sitting in water just exposed to elements in parts and some edges.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpeg
    IMG_0332.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Oh dear.
The thing with osb is that it's hard to see if the stands have weakened. The board itself is largely water resistant (not proof) but this relies on it drying off between soakings, but the edges are more susceptible to weakening and wetting - and these are the important areas to brace the frame.

I'd contact the OSB makers rep - not the supplier, the maker who supplies to the merchants.

The frame itself may be ok, but will be subject to shrinkage movement. Again, speak with the frame supplier.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear.
The thing with osb is that it's hard to see if the stands have weakened. The board itself is largely water resistant (not proof) but this relies on it drying off between soakings, but the edges are more susceptible to weakening and wetting - and these are the important areas to brace the frame.

I'd contact the OSB makers rep - not the supplier, the maker who supplies to the merchants.

The frame itself may be ok, but will be subject to shrinkage movement. Again, speak with the frame supplier.
Will speak to OSB manufacturer but can not speak to frame company as that is me.

There is plenty of air flow and it is not lying in water so hopefully be OK

my thoughts are if the osb is getting weather for more than a few weeks its prudent to change it
as in your situation its sounds like months on end then i think i know what i would do??
do you have a dry offcut thats been no where near water ??
if so i would remove say the bottom 8" from a well stained board compare thickness and with similar size bits try the Weetabix test for possible comparison to strength

my thoughts are if the osb is getting weather for more than a few weeks its prudent to change it
as in your situation its sounds like months on end then i think i know what i would do??
do you have a dry offcut thats been no where near water ??
if so i would remove say the bottom 8" from a well stained board compare thickness and with similar size bits try the Weetabix test for possible comparison to strength

It does not look like it has swelled and still 9mm so hopefully the air going through is drying it out quickly when it gets wet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back