Timber frame or block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm after a bit of advice. We are currently planning our 4x3m rear kitchen/diner extension and have a architect coming around on Monday to do some drawings for me. We are having to go to full plans as we are building over a public sewer. I was then going to use these plan's to get quotes from local building firm's. However i have a mate who builds timber frame extensions who said he is obviously more than happy to build one for me but i hadn't even give this method a thought. Is there any disadvantages of going down that route?
Many thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi all, I'm after a bit of advice. We are currently planning our 4x3m rear kitchen/diner extension and have a architect coming around on Monday to do some drawings for me. We are having to go to full plans as we are building over a public sewer. I was then going to use these plan's to get quotes from local building firm's. However i have a mate who builds timber frame extensions who said he is obviously more than happy to build one for me but i hadn't even give this method a thought. Is there any disadvantages of going down that route?
Many thanks
Dave

Not really provided the detailing is done correctly. It requires careful consideration for damp proofing, vapour barrier and firecheck cavities.If thats whatnyour mate does Im sure that he can do all those in his sleep.

Obviously if house is face brickwork externally and you need to match, then blockwork internally is the cheapest rather than timber frame.

TBH timber frame is not usually cheaper than blockwork on smaller jobs -no doubt your mate might make a diff there.

Brill thanks for that. He did pop around yesterday to have a look and was on about vapour barrier and damp proofing and so on but it was all lost on me!! External finish will be rendered so no need to match brickwork. At least this way i can get someone that i know instead of using someone unknown. Just for the 2 meter deep footings and moving of the manhole to sort now!!

Cost, risk, lack of adaptability, maintenance go against timber frames.

Sponsored Links
Your architect should include the necessary construction information on their drawings for building regulation approval.

No.

Although there are areas at risk... I think? Some authorities or architects insist upon treated trusses for example in certain areas.
That's a bregs and standards requirement for parts of the UK where boring insects are prevalent, nothing to do with architects.

Also, standards and guidance recommend treated timber in high risk areas (eg damp or damage) where replacement or repair would be difficult or impractical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back