Extending a timber framed house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a timber framed mid terraced ex local auth house build in the 1970's I think!

We would like to removed the rear external wall to extend about 3ms across the width of the house to make a large open plan kitchen-diner.

Does anyone know if we can install an RSJ with out having to have pillars to support it across the width of the room? I would like a full open plan look without pillars. Would a support pillar at either end be enough support?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Timber frame built in the '70s? What exactly is the make-up of the building i.e. timber frame with brick skin?

Anyhoo, 3m span is no hill o' beans so i think you can achieve an open design though I'm unsure about what you mean about "without pillars"?

Are you referring to end-bearing pillars or mid-span pillars?

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of mid pillars, I think I would have to have pillars at either end to support the RSJ? but dont want them in the middle as would like a true "open" space layout.

Yes its timber framed with single skin brick.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I dont know, checked with Dad! he said he does not think it is a crosswall construction.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back