Timber frame thickness / cladding...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

Im currently planning my timber frame garage build and have come to thinki about the thickness of it after cladding etc.

I'll be building 2 or 3 courses or bricks first, inc a DPC, from that will be:

4"x2" timber frame,
18mm osb
vapour barrier membrane
batten
6mm cement board
rendered.

The problem i think i may have, is once the timber frame is built put onto the brick, which is also around 100mm, from there, it will 'stick out' another 2" or so!
Im not sure if i'm wondering over nothing or not, it's just timber garages i've seen to get ideas and inspiration, seem to only 'stick out' the thickness of the finish cladding.

Hope that makes sense!!

cheers

Sponsored Links
I think that would be fine seeing as your 4x2 will be sitting on the brick work. Once it's all together it's not going anywhere!

I'm doing the same project but am building a single course off 4" wide concrete blocks.

Are you insulating?

You can use OSB at half the thickness, or 9mm ply. It doesnt matter that it sticks out a bit, but use some insect mesh at the bottom to cover the gap.

Such as http://tinyurl.com/kxloffj

Your bigger problem will be preventing water from pooling against the brickwork and running in. Smart move would be to cast a step on the slab, so that the concrete is slightly higher on the inside, or build the bricks right on the edge of the slab.

Sponsored Links
I expect it to stick out a bit anyway, but not as much as 2". Am now thinking of rendering the first blocks, to bring it out a bit closer, also to waterproof it?

The concrete slab will have a dpm and the walls insulated and plaster boarded.

Next doors ground level is a little higher than mine. Think in going to start the block below ground level, come up to DPC, 1 brick then start the timber?

How's that sound?

Cheers

Have a minimum of 2 bricks between ground level and bottom of the cladding.
Your 4x2 won't come in at 4x2 inches, If you used treated CLS at 89mm deep, once you've added 9mm sheathing you'll only be as 'thick as a brick' Use 19mm battens and you'll hardly notice any overhang.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back