Timber framed internal wall removal

1 Nov 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Good morning,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge. I am after some advice regarding removal of an internal wall in a Timber framed house.

We are looking to remove the wall between the now kitchen and living room and putting a door opening into the garage which will eventually become a habitable space.

What are our first steps? should be reach out to a structural engineer or seek advice from building control?
I have attached the floor plan, do you think there will be any issues with our plan?
The red line is the wall to be removed and the yellow the new door opening.

any advice is appreciated.


  • yrd.png
    121 KB · Views: 1,265
Sponsored Links
Those works affect the structure, and fire safety, means of escape and potentially the damp protection of the frame - and then the conversion element. All this would require a building regulations application.

You'll need to instruct a suitable person who can advise on all those, and that would be unlikley to be a builder. A structural engineer may know this stuff, but despite the works being structural, no specialist structural engeering knowledge is required. A competant architectural technician should do, or a building surveyor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links