Timber framing question - Turning shed into office / garden room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice please. Apologies if this question has already been asked - I have read all I could on the forum and I appreciate the shed timber framing might not be sufficient but I've got to work with it.

I have an existing shed, approx 8ft by 11ft. its made from CLS 33x68mm timber framing and has weatherboard t&g cladding.

I've just dry fitted (not water tight sealed) a second hand upvc door and its obvious when closing the door the wall bounces - so i know it needs reinforcing but not sure of the most economical / sound way to do this.

I'm looking for advice to strengthen this space to be used as a garden/office room - with some electric heating and lighting.

I've read somewhere that framing using 33mm by 68mm isn't a good idea as the structure weakens the more screws you throw at it and its too narrow for the space needed for insultation.

Please excuse the mess in the shed

cheers
ScotJam

My ideas at the moment...
1. From the top, i'm guessing i first need to add collar ties to the roof. (A)
2. Then for the perimeter, i'm guessing i could add same sized timber at the corners and screw them into the existing corners. and along the sides so that its another cube inside the shed connected to the existing corners and edges? (B, all the way around)
3. I need to add more timber around the door frame, its just on the right hand side of the door in the picture i can't add one full length piece but small pieces in between what's already there. (C and D)
4. I'm guessing i could add diagonal support between the studs? or noggins?
5. I'm guessing i could add a timber from above the door to the opposite side to stop the sides from flexing?
6. I will add boards to the inside once insulated and perhaps this will also add to the rigidity of the shed walls but add more weight.

So what's the economical thing to do? please don't suggest buying another shed or starting for scratch :) and what timber size can i use? more of the same?

Attachments

• thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 48
  • thumbnail3.jpg
    thumbnail3.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 49
  • thumbnail2.jpg
    thumbnail2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back