Timber Gable - gap between studs and vertical tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning a hip-to-gable and need some advice please. The gable will be timber framed and have vertical hung tiles. SE says it must be supported off the inner leaf - it's taking load from a ridge beam.

I'm using 120mm timber for the studwork. This leaves some 150mm gap from the finished gable face, across the cavity & external leaf to tiles.
Battens / counter battens will take up 50mm or so. Any suggestions how this gap should be bridged? Or perhaps I've really misunderstood something - happy to be put right!

1709237491973.png

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Planning a hip-to-gable and need some advice please. The gable will be timber framed and have vertical hung tiles. SE says it must be supported off the inner leaf - it's taking load from a ridge beam.

I'm using 120mm timber for the studwork. This leaves some 150mm gap from the finished gable face, across the cavity & external leaf to tiles.
Battens / counter battens will take up 50mm or so. Any suggestions how this gap should be bridged? Or perhaps I've really misunderstood something - happy to be put right!

View attachment 334907

Cheers!
Flash the ledge.

Hmm, not sure how that would look nosey?

Anyway you'll need vertical counter battens and then horizontal battens anyway, that already get's you about 80mm.

Or what would be better is if you had a continuous layer of insulation against the sheathing, then counter battens + battens.

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't the engineer be designing the support for the beam?
Yes, the SE has drawn up the supporting structure. It's doubled / tripled up 125mm studs forming part of this gable wall. He wasn't kind enough to design up to the tiles tho.

Hmm, not sure how that would look nosey?

Anyway you'll need vertical counter battens and then horizontal battens anyway, that already get's you about 80mm.

Or what would be better is if you had a continuous layer of insulation against the sheathing, then counter battens + battens.
Thanks for the idea!

I'm keen to avoid the gable end looking like this, but can understand why they did it. (Pic from Screech20 post 9Sept2013)

1709239522048.png

Yes, the SE has drawn up the supporting structure. It's doubled / tripled up 125mm studs forming part of this gable wall. He wasn't kind enough to design up to the tiles tho.
Then he's not done the design/his job properly.

He should detail the gable panel - how it takes the beam load, how it is fitted to the wall, and if it is an outer leaf how it is protected from the weather. And how it is insulated, and strapped to the roof.

That panel may well be close to 200mm thick, and it should not be oversailing a 100mm plate.

I would build this off a wider timber spanning the cavity. It would need a DPC on the outer leaf.

Since when the do SE's design weather protection or how it's insulated?
Since whenever they are required to as part of whatever they are doing.

Note: SE offices tend to have other people working there. This avoids just specifying a post in the middle of nothing.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I'm really not keen on a ledge, thanks tho Noseall.

New plan below.. any feedback of this is good / bad / ugly..?

Adding a new wall plate to the external leaf, with a DPC. Build off this a second, outer, gable end stud in 2x4s that just takes the vertical tiling. (totally separate from the beam support the inner leaf needs to accommodate). Potentially filling the void between the two studs with insulation.

Q: Would these gable end studs need to be strapped in to the rest of the structure? I know this is needed for block work but not sure about timber.

1709405312634.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back