1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Timber size to cover 12 foot width flat roof.

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by BML, 1 Sep 2011.

1. BML

BML

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm helping next door to build a garage with concrete blocks because I was a bricklayer. The garage is going to have a flat roof with a pich and its 12 feet wide. Next door reckons on using 2" X 6" but I think thats a trifle over the top.
    Could someone please sugest what timber size he should go for.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How is it a flat roof with a pitch? :LOL:

Anyway, 6x2 is actually under the top and you will need at least 7x2 at 400 c/c otherwise 8x2

4. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Concur with Woodshaving, my calculator says 7"x 2" is a trifle lean by todays' standards.

5. BML

BML

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    By flat I mean not with a gable and a ridge but flat with a drop of about 12 inches from one end to the other. I have to say I am suprised at roof timbers of 7". Its only going to carry roofing felt.

6. joe-90

joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It won't fall down with lesser timbers but it'll get a horrible bow in the middle.

7. leew2

leew2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    According to the table here:
    http://www.e-lindsey.gov.uk/NR/rdon.../0/014Flatroofstimbersizesandconstruction.pdf
    you need at least 7x2 inch timbers at 450mm centres.
    Of course your garage will most likely be exempt from building regs so you can use whatever timber size you want but be warned that using undersized timbers could cause the roof to bow and thus cause water to puddle on the roof and increase the chance of it leaking.

It may only be carrying felt most of the time but don't forget you could end up with a foot of snow on it which would add quite a bit of weight.

8. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No, the beams are made of timber not helium and don't just float there - they will sag under their own weight too

9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links