Timber treatment needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Some help needed please. I have built a timber conservatory out of soft wood and I need a treatment for it. I want a fluid that will soak into the wood and protect it from rotting. I don't want a "paint" or a cuprinol type of thing that will sit on the surface and peel and blister and need scraping off in the future. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Cuprinol Wood Preserver is not a paint. It is a chemical mixture carried in a solvent that soaks into the wood. Look it up.

Hi John, thanks for that, but its the same as all the preservatives they say on the tin that they protect against fungi, worm and infestation, but none of them mention rot from rainfall. I need a fluid that is water repellent that will soak in and protect the wood.

What is the difference between rot and fungus?

You can protect against worm and rot with chemicals.

You can repel water with paint or wax coatings, which you said you didn't want.

I use linseed oil on my outdoor timber, it reduces water penetration but does not totally prevent it. I use Cuprinol before the oil to prevent fungal stain.

Fence and decking stains leave a waxy coating on the surface which repels water.

Sponsored Links
you are asking for 2 conflicting things here

a soak in treatment gets the thumbs up providing its overpaintable as you then have to paint it to stabalise the timber moisture content as its now i assume a well fitting door with external door locks not shed or gate furniture

Last edited:
Sadolin Classic. Looks good, a range of colours to choose from and it protects the wood extremely well by soaking deep into the timber. After a few years it can be re-coated without having to remove the previous coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back