timber warped in partition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1970s house we have knocked around approx 20 years ago and repartitioned inside.

Slowly refurbing.

the rough sawn 4x2 timbers used for partitioning weren't very good and have warped so the walls aren't straight. e.g one wall i've stripped back there is a bow of 10mm in the middle from the outer 2 timbers. Yes there are noggins between the 4x2.

If I run battons along the 4x2 to staighten the walls for plasterboarding, whats the likely hood the wood will continue warping? the only other option I see is rebuilding the partitions with some decent timbers as I go along but obviously a lot more work

Sponsored Links
1970s house we have knocked around approx 20 years ago and repartitioned inside.

Slowly refurbing.

the rough sawn 4x2 timbers used for partitioning weren't very good and have warped so the walls aren't straight. e.g one wall i've stripped back there is a bow of 10mm in the middle from the outer 2 timbers. Yes there are noggins between the 4x2.

If I run battons along the 4x2 to staighten the walls for plasterboarding, whats the likely hood the wood will continue warping? the only other option I see is rebuilding the partitions with some decent timbers as I go along but obviously a lot more work
Timber warps as it dries, if it’s dry it should not move much again.

If it is really bad the timber can be cut through 3/4 of the way on the "crowned" side, a shallow wedge knocked in and then a flitch plate fixed to it (persomally I'd recommend screwing a piece of stud as the flitch plate.with 5 x 70 to 5 x 80 screws). Obviously you need a string line, two blocks and and traveller (the loose bit is called a traveller) to check for straightness, but it isn't rocket science (fortunately for me!). When I got home I did a quick search and found this Scott Brown (a Kiwi Carpenter) video which explains it in more detail:

BTW noggins don't prevent warping - they are there to stiffen the wall and make it less "bouncy", more stiff/rigid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back