Time to complete building works?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a building company round last night to provide a estimate/quote for some internal structural works including new cloakroom and fitting a new kitchen, they will project manage the job as well and they have all the trades in house. Nice guy and said all the right things until the amount of time it would take to do the works. I’ve listed the works below (not in very much detail) but he’s said it will take about two months to complete, this seemed a very long time to me, but I may just be naive.

Is two months fair for this amount of work?

I’m now dreading the amount that it’s going to cost, if I’m so out on the length of time it will take, my estimates are probably well under too!

Remove and dispose of old kitchen and flooring throughout area (35sqm)
Remove and dispose of two radiators
Remove French doors and window in external cavity wall (single storey extension), insert rsj to SE spec, make good and replace with bi fold doors (separate company to supply and fit).
Build stud partition wall for new cloakroom, associated electrics and plumbing
Remove internal french doors, central pier and 1.5m of single skin brick dividing wall to create open plan space, insert RSJ to SE spec, make good.
Extend kitchen and provide electrics and plumbing for new layout (plumbing to be moved by two metres, new ring main for electrics and new gas connection for hob)
Plasterboard ceiling in kitchen and backroom and skim – insert 20 downlighters
Skim walls in kitchen and any other areas to make good
Lay new flooring including underfloor heating (carbon film most likely)
Install kitchen and two built in cupboards
I’ve asked for a quote for all the decorating as well, although I will more than likely do this myself.
Regards,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Sounds a tad long to me, I would have said 6 weeks myself, but there can often be considerably more work with a refurb than a new build, and many builders will allow themselves longer incase they need a day off your site to go snagging at the last job etc., It also depends on the amount of labour on site. By 'Extend Kitchen' I assume you're not referring to building an extension :eek:

If you decide to have the work done, agree to make progress payments as and when the stages are completed. This usually is a good incentive to get the work speeded up. If the builder is not too busy, you may be able to agree up front for a sum of money to be deducted off the bill for every week he runs late. But to do this the builder must have control of the entire project as he can't be responsible for delays caused by you.

Thanks, this was the first company that we had round. They provide the full service from start to finish and also project manage it so I imagine will be the most expensive. I've got two other companies coming round over the next week or so, so I should have more of an idea once I've spoken to them.

We're extending/lengthing the kitchen into the back room, so the plumbing needs to be move by about 2m and then relocated electrics.

He seems a genuine guy, so he's probably just adding on a couple of weeks in case anything else crops up

Sponsored Links
If there is no new construction work, i.e. an extension, then 6 weeks will eat it.

There is no new construction, the only sturtural work is the two rsj's and a 2m long section of partition wall.

How long do you think it would take to complete the rsj's, first fix for electrics and plumbing, new plasterboard ceiling and then skim and make good walls etc

The next two companies I've got coming round will only get the room to a state where a kitchen fitter can come in to install the kitchen.

How long do you think it would take to complete the rsj's, first fix for electrics and plumbing, new plasterboard ceiling and then skim and make good walls etc

2 weeks.

I have a work ethic that i only ever do one job at a time. I have stuck to my guns and have plenty of work booked in. Not all builders work this way or are able to do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back