TIME

Reaction score
Country
United States
it has occurred to me...here in the USA, we have a "curious" thing called Daylight Savings Time. Twice a year, in the spring, we turn our clocks forward one hour and in the fall we turn them back one hour. Do they have such a thing or similar there in UK? What do think the benefits, if any would be?

Sponsored Links
i don't think it's got a name but when it's near the time to turn the clocks back/forward the tv news, radio ect.. let you know.

It doesn't bother me apart from if i forget to put my alarm clock forward, and im late for work, :)

Sponsored Links
that IS curious....I was expecting a "no". we've had DST ever since I can remember...think it had to do with an "energy crisis" we were having at the time....not sure. But same here....like that extra hour in the fall and because the days are getting longer...like it because it's not so dark in the morning.

I always thought it had to do with making it light in the morning, I don't know when it was first put into practice but im 35 years young :LOL: , and it's been the same all that time.

Some one will know out there, :LOL:

As far as I am aware it is just to make better use of daylight :rolleyes:

Probably thought up before the invention of torches :LOL:

Didnt it start during ww2?
something about scottish farmers not seeing where they were going and maximinsing farming productivity.

BST started by act of parliament in about 1915. During wwII clocks were put forward 2 hours from GMT in the summer, (double summer time).

Our use of Daylight Saving Time is synchronised across Europe, but is usually one or two weeks out compared to when the Americans change dates. I work for a company in Maryland, and it always catches me out for those weeks when there is a 4 or 6 hour difference.

Also, not all the states use it. Arizona, for instance is sometimes an hour ahead of Nevada, and sometimes the same.

Sponsored Links
Back